Boot problem

JayD

Limp Gawd
I just built a new rig with an Asus P5ND2-SLI mobo and Pentium D 805. 2 gigs of g.skill DDR2-800, ATI X1900XTX, and an Antec NeoHE 550 PSU. When i installed everything in my case and tried to boot I got no video and the system shut off after a few seconds. I tried a few times with no avail. Then, I took everything out of the case and set it up on a work bench and tried again. This time, I still get no video but it stays on until I turn it off. The board doesn't beep at me but I'm not sure if I have to connect it to an external speaker to hear the beeps. Anyway, I get no video from either DVI port on the X1900XTX. I'm thinking its the mobo. If I boot the system without the video card I get the same results: obviously no video but also no beeps. Help.

Please help! What are the chances its the mobo? I bought a new 650 watt PSU and the problem still occurs.

I remember reading something about NeoHE power supplies having problems with Asus motherboards. You may want to try using a different power supply to see if you get the same problem.

Check here for more info.

I finally got it working. Turns out there were 2 problems. First, the RAM I was using had too aggressive of timings, thanks to G. Skill. Also, there was a short on the board caused by my Aquagate Mini. My friend suggested putting electrical tape under the mounting screws and also rotating the heatsink so it didn't touch any capacitors. Now its fine, except for one thing: Windows takes a loooong time to boot if I have any USB devices plugged in during boot. If I take them out the problem is gone. Any ideas? Again, Asus P5ND2-SLI mobo.

Turns out that isnt the problem either. This board sucks. I got an email from G. Skill telling me it doesn't support double sided memory chips. Whats up with that?

Back