Boot Loader Issue?

aFive

2[H]4U
Hi, well I have a small dilema here. I used to dual boot on my laptop, but just uninstalled Vista. However, when I start up my PC, the boot menu promtping me to select the OS is still present Vista partition is no longer existant. Now, I know there is a quick way to fix it, anybody know how?

I'm guessing the existing OS is XP? If so, you can just edit your boot.ini file, or go into System Properties > Advanced > Startup And Recovery.

I'm guessing the existing OS is XP? If so, you can just edit your boot.ini file, or go into System Properties > Advanced > Startup And Recovery.

Thanks, will try that. Well, the default OS was Vista and XP was installed after that. I removed Vista due to some issues I have been having, now, my boot.ini file only has XP in there, can't restart right now, downloading some big files :(.

Ok, bump, issue persists. Looks like I am using BCDEDIT.exe loader that is under Vista. Since the partition has been wiped, isn't there a way to clear the boot loader and re-load it?

I believe the command you are looking for is Bootsect.exe. Here is the technet article on it.

I'm guessing that you're going to need to execute it from a command prompt like this:
Code:
bootsect.exe /nt52 SYS

You can find the executable on your Vista CD in the BOOT folder. I'll admit that I've never tried this, so read up a little more on it and be prepared with some type of linux live CD or a PE distro if you're unsure of it.

Or boot from an XP cd in recovery console mode and run

"Fixmbr"
"Fixboot"

Back