Boot.ini editing question: Dual boot XP and Win98

Ratha

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, what im trying to do is add a config option to my XP boot.ini to allow me to boot Win98 from the bootloader on Drive 1. I have looked around all over the place and been unable to find a solution to what im having trouble with.

I have 2 harddrives:

Drive 0 - 120 gig, 1 partition, Fat32 - Win98
Drive 1 - 200 gig, 2 partitions, NTFS - WinXP

I am formatting drive 0 soon to fix some problems, and am unable to figure out how to properly edit the boot.ini file on Drive 1 to include Win98 as a boot option. Part of the reason i want to format is to remove the bootloader *entirely* from Drive 0, however i want to retain the simplicity of being able to dual boot from Drive 1.

The reason that i have a bootloader on my win98 drive (Drive 0) is that i installed XP originally from Drive 0 to Drive 1, not knowing that it would cause a bootloader to show up.

I have since reinstalled XP on Drive 1 (from Drive 1) so that it could be used as an independant drive and not have anything to do with Drive 0 (the drive i am about to format.) It does not know that i have another drive with Win98 on it, and thus wasnt added to the bootloader menu. Maybe more is needed than a simple boot.ini edit...

Heres the contents of my Boot.ini on Drive 1.
Code:
Drive 1 - WinXP

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP Pro" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

In order to boot XP, i have 2 options. I can use the bootloader on Drive 0 (which is about to be formatted) as it will boot Win98 and WinXP from the bootloader just fine. OR, i can go into my bios, and change the boot order from Drive 0 to Drive 1, and it will boot XP just fine. However, all my attempts to add and get Win98 to boot from the bootloader on Drive 1 have failed.

Here is a copy of the boot.ini on Drive 0
Code:
Drive 0 - Win98

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=C:\
[operating systems]
C:\="Win98"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP Pro" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I will be booting *FROM* Drive 1.
I want to boot Win98, and Win98 is in C:\Windows on Drive 0

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Win98"
Rdisk 0 = Physical disk 0, thats correct.
Partition 1 = Partition 1, only partition on the drive, that is correct.

Now lets look at the contents of the Drive 1 boot.ini again. Notice that XP is using exactly what i just came up with?

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Win98"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP Pro" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Maybe since i am booting *FROM* Drive 1, it is thinking that it is now Drive 0? If thats the case, i have tried setting rdisk(1) for win98, but i get an error trying to boot it.

Here are the errors for the following entries i have tried in the boot.ini on Drive 1:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP Pro - Located on Drive 1" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect - Boots perfectly
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Win98 - Located on Drive 0" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect - Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. <Windows Root>\System32\Hal.dll Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

C:\="Win98" - I/O Error accessing boot sector file multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) bootsect.dos
D:\="Win98" - No text error, just reboots the computer.

Heres a look at the different Boot.ini files on the two drives. These are correct. Dont ask me why, because i cant explain it. On each drive, XP boots properly using these settings.
Boot.ini on Drive 1 - multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP Pro"
Boot.ini on Drive 0 - multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP Pro"

I could avoid all this mess by simply changing the boot order in the bios every time i wanted to boot, but that isnt as easy as using the bootloader.

If you can offer any suggestions, advice, or well, anything to help resolve this problem, i would appreciate it. If you dont understand what i wrote, please let me know.

Ratha

Back