Boot.ini and ntldr not on C: Drive

BuisyBizz

Limp Gawd
For a little more background, see here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1032014585
I formatted my C: drive (HDD1, partition1) and reinstalled windows. Afterward, it wouldn't let me change the E: drive (HDD1, partition2) letter to D: I decided i could live with it, then I found that boot.ini and ntldr are on the E: drive. Can I copy those files over to C: and change the partition pointer in boot.ini to 1? Or just use my xp disk to do fix boot and fix mbr? Or does this have to do with some low level HDD stuff?

i beleave you can do the fix mbr thing and that should fix it, but im not 100% on it.. if you tryed it and it didnt work the worst it would do is leave it in the same place it is now, as for moveing/renameing, it might work but i dont have a clue.. if it dosent your left with a non bootable system, and you will have to reinstall..

either try fix mbr, or wait untill someone says for sure that one or the other will work

All that info is in the bootsector of the hard drive, you cant access that thru windows.

so do you think fixboot and fixmbr from the XP recovery console will do the trick?

Works for me, just try every fix boot command there is ;)

Back