Boot From Lan?

uklegend

n00b
What is this and what does it do?
I found it in setup, and was wondering if it would be better if I changed it.

The only time I've seen it used was with a RIS server for automatic imaging. I can't see it serving any other usefull purpose.

It's really only designed for pulling down a fresh image, as described in the above post. 99.9% of home users are best disabling this option, or taking it out of the boot options.

It has nothing to do with the fact that I am part of a network then. Can I safely disable it without affecting my LAN connection?

uklegend said:
It has nothing to do with the fact that I am part of a network then. Can I safely disable it without affecting my LAN connection?
Yes, you can disable the boot functionality. Just make sure your not disabling the onboard LAN as a whole.

uklegend said:
What is this and what does it do?
Basicaly, it just makes it so you can boot the computer with this option enabled by means of a remote computer attached on your network.

jbog91 said:
Basicaly, it just makes it so you can boot the computer with this option enabled by means of a remote computer attached on your network.

thats correct BUT if its enabled many systems wont even boot if they cant find a lan connection.. They just sit there looking and looking and looking.

heck I've had it happen.

I don't mean to sound insulting, but for boot on lan if you don't know what it is you don't need it it enabled. Thats pretty much the easiest explanation.

Right. But he was just wandering what it was. Nutin wrong with asking. :p

Back