• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Boot Drive for OpenSolaris

Suprnaut

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 16, 2011
Messages
69
At work we have a spare Dell R710 with 6 2tb drives. I convinced management to let me setup a ZFS fileserver for iSCSI on a private LAN that doesn't have access to our NetApp.

My question is what can I use to boot Solaris with? The Dell R710 doesn't have any internal drives to boot from, it doesn't even have any molex/spare power cables to hook up an internal drive for the OS. (There is a free onboard sata port though) Dell does sell a Raid 1 SD card reader that can be used to boot with (mainly used for ESXi). My concern with that is speed/performance and if it is even supported by Solaris.

Another option I thought of was a PCI-E card like the OCZ RevoDrive. It should work as it appears to the OS as a Raid card with drives attached.

Please give me any thoughts or suggestions on what I should do.
 
That is an option, it would be similar to using Dell's sd card reader I mentioned. Would that be sufficient enough for an enterprise storage system thou?
 
Back
Top