• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Boot disk to format drives as FAT32?

Slartibartfast

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Messages
7,280
Does anybody know of a quick and easy way to format a drive as fat32? I want to install Win2k on a machine, but my version is not bootable, so I have to boot with a Win 98 CD, install it, then install Win2k. However, the drive is currently formatted as NTFS, so Win98 freaks out and won't do anything with the drive. I know I can use Knoppix to do it, but I'm looking for something quicker, like a simple boot floppy. Normally I would make a boot disk in Win 98, but I no longer have any boxes around running it.
 
Go to the hard drive manufacturer's website that you're running in said PC and download their disk tools and you should be able to create a cd or floppy with the program to format your disk how you want.
 
Its been a while but you should be able to run fdisk from the 98 cd, delete "non dos partition", repartition and format as fat32 iirc.

edit: there is also the bootdisk.com option

 
could also get/make the windows 2000 boot floppy set (4 floppies).

To create a Windows 2000 Professional bootable diskette you will need four 1.44MB diskettes and the Windows 2000 Professional CD.

Click Start / Run / browse to the CD-ROM drive.
Open the "BOOTDISK" folder and double-click makeboot.exe and click ok to launch the program to create the diskette.
 
boot from 98 cd, goto dos.
fdisk, del old, create new
reboot, goto dos
format c: /s
 
Back
Top