boot disk part of Raid 5 array?

NoEcho

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 14, 2001
Messages
3,250
Near as I recall the answer used to be 'no' but I suspect it may have changed recently. Can one have the windows boot partition in an SSD raid array, specifically a Raid 5 array?
 
Yes, the RAID controller has just to be bootable. You can boot from an Intel onboard RAID5 for example. But I strongly recommend against the Intel RAID5. Also, SSDs are better off in mirrors anyway.
 
Why are SSDs better off in mirrors? Seems kind of like a speed and materials sacrifice.
 
Why would it be a speed sacrifice? When I said mirrors I meant of course RAID10 when you have at least 4 drives. Why do you even want RAID5?
Low queue depth random IOPS (the main benefit of SSDs) will most likely decrease with RAID5 unless you have a proper RAID controller (means it has a battery/flash backed write cache).
For the price of such controller you can buy almost 2 TB of SSD space with current models and prices.

Maybe you can add what your application/expected workload will be, the RAID controller you have or plan to buy and the type of SSDs you have to give a better suggestion.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top