Boot/Application SSD

What is your budget and space requirements? Bang for buck is relative. If you need over 60GB then you have to compare only 128gb+, etc..

Well, I'm hoping to spend $100 to $120, but lower is always better.

I'm also not looking to store all of my information on there, not even games necessarily. I may get a larger drive to store games on later. I'm thinking I'll put the OS and slow loading apps like the Adobe Creative Suite on there. I've heard you need to have a minimum of 30% of your SSD clear at all times, so I'm guessing 64gb will be ok but limited, and 128gb will give me more headroom which would be nicer, but if it's over the $120 max I'd cut it out of the running.

I grabbed an agility 3 when they were under $70, no problems yet, super fast boots and my fave games load faster then ever before.

I just built a PC on Thursday and 6 hours later the OCZ Agility 3 was dead. 4 out of 5 eggs at Newegg, and those with the 1 rating had theirs die soon after install. Also consider the return policy, which I overlooked. If you can't refund it if it dies within 30 then don't buy it. Pay more and get a better guarantee and 5 of 5 rating. Use Newegg as a reference because they have the most ratings, them make your purchase from the site of your choice being in Canada.

128gb all the way.

For OS/App, you're really not going to notice the difference between any of those models, so long as they're relatively recent releases.

For instance, you're not going to notice the difference between a drive that's rated at 300 MB/s versus one that's rated at 500 MB/s (unless you're doing something insane). The only place you'll notice a difference is if you benchmark it.

Instead, I'd recommend going for a reliable model (one where lots of people haven't complained of DOAs/bricks) and one that allows you to get the 120/128 GB model. I had a 54 GB SSD and I ran out of room real quick with Windows 7, even with doing most apps and all data on a regular HDD.

Personally, I got a Corsair Performance Pro 128 GB and I'm very happy with it.

I grabbed an agility 3 when they were under $70, no problems yet, super fast boots and my fave games load faster then ever before.
I'm shocked that mine failed after just 6 hours, but I'm not upset about it. Stuff happens. I just wish it outlasted the warranty before it died.

The Samsung 830 is awesome at 64 and 128GB.

For SandForce drives, the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe is what you want, IMHO. I've used the 60 and 120GB and they both rock. The 60 is much faster than any other 60GB SandForce drive.

Also excellent are the Crucial M4 and the Plextor M3. The 128GB versions have been around $150 to $160 lately, and it's worth stepping up to those. The Plextor has a 5 year warranty too, and the M3 is great at 64GB too (so is the M4, and it was only $75 last week)

Of those you list, the Pyro SE is far and above the best.

Back