Boosting Wireless Signal in Inspiron 9300 woes :(

TheOSHAGuy

n00b
My Aunt's Neighbor has a Wireless Network which he said I could "Tap" into when I was visiting. Problem is I barely get a connection to him. I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 with the Intel 2200BG Internal Wireless NIC. Is there anyway I can boost my Laptop Reception with this Adapter or if not can anyone recommend a good USB or PCMCIA Network Adapter with an External antenna that I can add a Real Powerful Antenna. One other thing what about a range extender?

Thanks for the assistance in advance.

Dave

Depends on what he's running on the other end, but you could set up a WAP54G in repeater mode near a window facing his house. If your laptop gets marginal signal, odds are good the WAP54G will have much better reception.

Actually, my friend is having the same problem, but at his dorm. Some people bought cable internet to play games and he has the code to get on but it kicks him off CS when he is palying because he is loosing too many packets.

I gave him a wireless USB adapter to try, it had lower siginal but worked better, then his ping was high, not sure if that was due to the net or the adapter.

Isn't anything besides a repeater that can help? :(

Why not buy a better wireless card.

Senao cards for instance can pick up signals 1/2 block radius with a cheap magmount antenna.

For instance I have built in wifi in my lappy with signal boost or whatever. I get 3 SSID coming from my neighborhood which are weak signals. With the Senao card I pickup 11 SSID. Those weak signals now are good signals.

Or you can go the other way round. Buy a cheap orinoco/cisco card and put a powerful antenna. Same results.

I got a linksys wusb11 for $20.00 on christmas and i could pick up atleaste 12 wireless networks in my room.

I think it would work for you.

Look into the senao card..... They are sweet. I will be getting one as soon as i pay off my recent computer purchase.

On another noteSenao cards are the one of the few you will find that run at 200mw, which is why they pick up a lot more SSID's than other cards. I am currently running a senao 2611-cb3 deluxe bridge which i love.

AcidTone said:
Look into the senao card..... They are sweet. I will be getting one as soon as i pay off my recent computer purchase.

On another noteSenao cards are the one of the few you will find that run at 200mw, which is why they pick up a lot more SSID's than other cards. I am currently running a senao 2611-cb3 deluxe bridge which i love.

OK Which Senao Card would you recommend? I saw online an external USB model the Senao Engenius 802.11b/g EUB-362Ext 200mW USB2 Adapter. It has a removable antenna. I can buy it for $90.00 incl shipping. Am I better of with that since I only have 1 PCMCIA Slot or would my speed be reduced with the USB 2,0 vs the PCMCIA?

Thanks for all the Responses :)

Have you used that adapter you linked Stonecat?

I've used the lower end version of it and was really dissapointed by it. Got better reception with a linksys.

-Chris

TheOSHAGuy, Do not get a usb version. Get a PCMCIA card Senao NL/SL-2511CD PLUS EXT2 200mW, 2 MMCX connectors for your external antenna.

You can find it on ebay for about $60-70

Get a cheap magmount 7dbi antenna. It'll give you more than what you need.

Same performance, price and an additional increase in range in your aunt's house with the repeater.

Back