• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Boost my wireless.

Carp

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 27, 2003
Messages
356
Hey all!

I want to increase the range on my Linksys router (flashed with DD-WRT)

I don't know much about wireless so I am coming here for help.

How do I increase the range? I am also willing to buy an antenna, which ones do I look at?

Thanks a lot [H].

(Hope I was specific enough)
 
look at omni directional antennas. These increase the range in all directions.

Wifi is a weird beast so you are never really gauranteed any range, but bigger antennas will help :)
 
are you looking to increase the range in all directions, or just to one spot?
 
look at omni directional antennas. These increase the range in all directions.

Wifi is a weird beast so you are never really gauranteed any range, but bigger antennas will help :)

Most wifi routers/APs come with an omnidirectional antenna.

He needs a "better" omni antenna. Look for something 6dB or better, as most consumer wireless equipment comes installed with 3-6dB antennas.
 
I haven't looked yet, but I am willing to pay ~$100

I need to pick my friend up at the police station........ask me later :-\
 
ummm... im pretty sure you can just boost the power output with DD-WRT which would probably be easier than spending money on new antennas. Look for a power settings. mess around with it, dont change it too high. You can probably safely double it without worrying about breaking any FCC regulations.
 
How about trying to up the output power first? reception won't change much but it's worth a try.
 
do you have a single antenna or dual antenna router? (i didn't see a model number anywhere)

I found that the benefit of power boost in ddwrt is minimal at best.
You better bet is to get a (or a couple) decent antennas.

I built a ddwrt rig with 2 of these...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833977005
and i get PHENOMENAL coverage from them. granted, they are big and rather pricey, but worth it in my case.
 
Back
Top