• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Bookshelf speakers for PC

1-anh

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 30, 2010
Messages
98
I am considering picking up a pair of bookshelf speakers for my computer. How are they for nearfield listening, roughly 1-2 feet away? Also I have read it is not a good idea to have them directly on your desk, is this true? How bad is the sound when the bookshelf speaker is directly on your desk?
 
I have a pair of Polk RTI4's about 2.5-3 feet away from me on my desk, raised with 4 dvd cases and they sound fantastic.
 
are there any other cheap but good looking alternatives to cd cases?
 
I think the point of having them off the desk is to get the tweeter at the proper height, maybe some isolation.
 
Yeah, the height thing. It's hard to actually kill the vibration from the speaker though. Just be aware if you have a glass desk, you'll have extra low end, and not entirely accurate. Also, I see no issue with listening up close. I do it.
 
are there any other cheap but good looking alternatives to cd cases?
I don't know about good-looking, but I use empty 100-pack canisters of CD-R's. Gets my speakers a good 7" off the desk surface without having to stack any household items, and the footprint is actually a tad smaller than my AV-30's themselves.
 
My desk has a raised section to it where the monitors and speakers sit,
game-setup.jpg


I do remember seeing short 4"-6" speaker stands on either this forum or another forum that were pretty good looking.
 
My desk has something like that too which i think helps with the imaging. I have the ikea jerker desk and i have arms that stick out the side for my speakers too. I just don't have the room in my small bedroom to put the arms on but my speakers still sound great!
 
Maybe I don't really need to raise them if the resonance isn't noticable. Also zepher, I really like your desk it looks awesome. How do the monitors sound?

I am contemplating between bookshelf speakers and a decent headphone such as the audiotechnica ad700 for gaming/music or the logitech z-2300/klipsch promedia 2.1 with a high end headphone such as the beyerdynamic dt 990 250ohm. Anyone have thoughts.
 
These Alesis M1 Active MK2 Monitors sound incredible, crisp, clean, decent bass, and can play at deafening sound levels.
I got them maybe 6 years ago, traded a pair of Paradigm M7 speakers for them since I didn't need the M7 floorstanding speakers.

Oh, my brother bought a pair of M-Audio Bx5a monitors and they sound exceptionally good, and are about 1/3 the physical size of my Alesis.
Bx5a were $199 at Guitar Center locally.
 
Hmm, its so hard to decide. I wish I could have the best of both worlds.
 
My desk has a raised section to it where the monitors and speakers sit,
game-setup.jpg


I do remember seeing short 4"-6" speaker stands on either this forum or another forum that were pretty good looking.

lol. as an ocd/neat freak, i had a mild heart attack when i saw this pic. :)
 
Back
Top