• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Bookshelf speaker setup

digilink

Gawd
Joined
Jul 27, 2002
Messages
566
I want to get a pair of decent bookshelf speakers for my PC. I also want to feed the amplifier using optical out from my soundcard, but I don't need a full fledged receiver as I'm not interested in decoding, fm radio etc.

Is there an amplifier that will take just my optical out and amplify a pair of speakers?
 
Such an amplifier would also need D/A converters if you intend to use the optical out. Converting digital signal to an analog line level signal is the primary role of the "pre" section of an AVR (among other things). If you have a reasonably capable sound card, you have reasonably capable converters and opamps and no need to use a digital output.

The only inexpensive, single-source amp that I'm aware of is the T-Amp, which does not have digital connections. It simply inputs a line level analog signal and boosts the output to speaker level.

Unless you're an absolute audiophile, there's really no need to always output a digital signal. If the goal is to be cost effective, you'll want to take advantage of what you already have, which is reasonably good D/A conversion provided by your sound card.
 
Well my primary reason for wanting digital(either optical or coaxial) was for reduced cable clutter. In it's present form I would need adapters etc and I just want to keep it as simple as I possibly can, I'm not even sure what I want even exists.

Basically in a nutshell, here is what I am after:


PC optical audio out -> some_amplifier -> 2 standard 8 ohm bookshelf speakers

I am currently running an analog 5.1 setup off my sound card and it's just too much for what I do, and I want to conserve some space as well.
 
Well, Google up "integrated amps" and see what you can come up with. Some of these may have optical inputs, but you're most certainly going to be paying far above and beyond what a decent Denon, Onkyo or HK stereo receiver will end up running you. What you've described is something of a niche that has, most likely, barely been filled, and with that comes a price tag. But I'm no authority, and others may have some better answers.

I'm not terribly sure that I understand the issue with cable clutter. To get a stereo analog connection, all you need is a stereo 1/8" to dual RCA female adaptor (typically only about 6" long) and, obviously, a stereo RCA cable pair. There are dozens of means of grappling with cable clutter, such as braided cable sleeving which would leave you with a cable that is typically only going to be about two to three times thicker than an optical cable. Hell, you could probably throw some heat shrink on the adaptor, which would look pretty nice.

I definitely recommend checking out the T-Amp. It's not powerful, but it is very compact, stylish and efficient. Sleeve and shrink the RCA interconnects, and you'll have a really fantastic looking setup (assuming you don't buy ugly speakers).

EDIT: In fact, there are some adaptors that are about as big as a quarter and use no wires. Google up stereo 1/8" to dual RCA female and you'll find what you need.
 
digilink said:
Well my primary reason for wanting digital(either optical or coaxial) was for reduced cable clutter. In it's present form I would need adapters etc and I just want to keep it as simple as I possibly can, I'm not even sure what I want even exists.

Basically in a nutshell, here is what I am after:


PC optical audio out -> some_amplifier -> 2 standard 8 ohm bookshelf speakers

I am currently running an analog 5.1 setup off my sound card and it's just too much for what I do, and I want to conserve some space as well.

There are 1/8" cables that have RCA connectors on the other end, which would suffice to say, a T-amp would be great. However for a little more, you can get a TEAC A-L700P if you look really hard. :p Since a t-amp + power adapter is like $50~. I got a TEAC for $80. :D
 
Back
Top