• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Bookshelf Speaker Help

U1337

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
104
I'm in the market for some good bookshelf speakers mainly used for my imac i was looking at the usher s520 and since I'm new to this what would ne a good inexpensive amp and how could I hook it up I'm sorry im a complete noob
 
What's your budget? Ushers ain't cheap so your definition of inexpensive might differ from others. ;-)
 
For an amp I'd recommend the gizmo from tweak city audio for a basic one. For much nicer cambridge audio has a few nice ones around $400-500 area.

Tweak city audio also has some speakers that look pretty good, the waf-1 that I think you can order probably in the next month or two.

I personally run the av123 etl525's with the gizmo and a zero dac. They work great as near field monitors and have a nice musical sound to them (softer but detailed).

Gizmo Amp Link

WAF-1 Speakers Link
 
I dont know if I'd want something that big and with no volume control/eq on the front. Just my preferrence
 
Well the speakers I can afford but the amp would have to be at the most 120$ and small since I have my iMac on my table as well as my xbox setup
 
Check out that gizmo then, its probably the size you'd want to be looking at. The waf1 speakers he says early august are the shipping date.
 
Since it sounds like you are running 2.0 and not 2.1 and since the Ushers are not hard to drive speakers, another option is to go with something like a T amp. They only cost like $50 or so and though they only give like 15W of power, for a small setup, it should be good.
 
Last edited:
I had a sonic impact tamp before I had my gizmo and I can say that it is a stronger amp and the basic eq helps a ton. I run my av123 et525's with it and like he said they are great near field and have a soft touch for music which is prefect. Plus if you want to add a sub later it has a variable subwoofer output.
 
Not to keep plugging Paradigm speakers, but the Atoms are really great sounding and are very, very efficient. You wouldn't need a very powerful amp/receiver to drive them.
 
Not to keep plugging Paradigm speakers, but the Atoms are really great sounding and are very, very efficient. You wouldn't need a very powerful amp/receiver to drive them.

picked up a pair on the weekend, love them
 
Back
Top