Bookshelf pair recommendations $50'ish

Trimlock

[H]F Junkie
Been looking for a cheap pair, non powered for a little project, may be moved to my PC later. Had my eye on the $40 pair of Daytons at parts express.

Anyone have a recommendation for a better pair? Going to hook them up to a small amp either my 10 watt or 20 watt.

Thanks!

Only issue with those Daytons, which are very nice for the money, is the speaker wire terminals. They're the old style clips. If that's not a problem for you, then it'd be hard to find better speakers at that price.

Only issue with those Daytons, which are very nice for the money, is the speaker wire terminals. They're the old style clips. If that's not a problem for you, then it'd be hard to find better speakers at that price.
Yea terminals are a non issue

Barring finding something at a garage sale or thrift shop, yeah, that's probably your best bet. Plus, anything you find that'll sound significantly better will probably be old enough that they'll need to be re-foamed, and that's kind of a pain in the ass.

That or do a little research and look around on eBay, though at that price point I wouldn't expect wonders.

Well have you seen anything used go for $50 that would blow these away? I'm looking now and only see extremely old stuff. Re foaming isn't that big of a pain, I still have a roll of foam that I can use.

I haven't seen anything on eBay, but depending on your area, Craigslist or the local thrift shops / Goodwill / Salvation Army / Habitat ReStore may have some gems.

Also, old is not bad (as you probably know). Some of the best speakers ever were made back in the 60s and 70s.

I just noticed that between you two, there are 22 years and 27,672 posts on [H] :jawdrop:

I haven't seen anything on eBay, but depending on your area, Craigslist or the local thrift shops / Goodwill / Salvation Army / Habitat ReStore may have some gems.

Also, old is not bad (as you probably know). Some of the best speakers ever were made back in the 60s and 70s.

Yea I never see those speakers less than $200 at least with a working cross over or a non blown driver. I would like something a bit more sensitive than the Daytons but I'm not in need of it. I'll look a bit longer locally.
I just noticed that between you two, there are 22 years and 27,672 posts on [H] :jawdrop:

Lol we are lifers!

The old guard.

Granted, there are people that have been here /way/ longer than us.

Luck in the search! If I see anything I'll let you know.

The old guard.

Granted, there are people that have been here /way/ longer than us.

Luck in the search! If I see anything I'll let you know.

Awesome, thanks!

I've been here since 2001/2002, a bit longer actually but I didn't start using the forum till then. The Celeron 300A era is when I started using the site, I had no idea how to OC and heard through the grape vine you could steal more MHz from Intel with a little BIOS hackery. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I was lurking for years before I made an account. Built a system with an AMD T-Bird and started hanging around here, so that'd be mid 2000.

I had built an account then too, accounts gone but I made it to complain about how I chipped my 1.4 T-Bird lol.

I love noaudiophile's reviews of speakers in this price range, I don't know which exact Dayton model you're talking about but here's his AIR model review - Dayton B652 AIR Review - he also mentions the non-AIR models as well as these little MICCA speakers available on Amazon.

What's even cooler about his site are the measurement/EQ files he provides, I found they were quite accurate with the Pioneer 22s and JBL 305s

The airs contain the special tweeter by PE, I don't consider them worth the extra $20 or so dollars they charge.

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed the reviewers writing style.

Back