Books of networking etc

ModestMoo

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,
I'm currently in high school (I'll do university & college), but I want to know more about networking (mainly servers) and their hardware.
Is there any particular books for it? How to connect everything?
For example this:

labrack.jpg

Sorry of any of you guys if I'm using your picture.:rolleyes:

Cheers everyone.

That would be someones lab setup.
He is most likely studying for his CCNA or parts of his CCNP. I see some vbrick equipment in there too so they are playing with video distribution too.
I spy with my little eye an ASA and a Sonicwall, so there is some security in there as well.

Are you looking for vendor neutral books that talk about networking as a whole?
How comfortable do you feel with networking already? I'd hate to suggest books that outline differences between switches and hubs if you already have a good grasp on the basics.

That would be someones lab setup.
He is most likely studying for his CCNA or parts of his CCNP. I see some vbrick equipment in there too so they are playing with video distribution too.
I spy with my little eye an ASA and a Sonicwall, so there is some security in there as well.

Are you looking for vendor neutral books that talk about networking as a whole?
How comfortable do you feel with networking already? I'd hate to suggest books that outline differences between switches and hubs if you already have a good grasp on the basics.
Yes, I know some basics. My house networking setup is pretty big and extended. Bridge, 3 routers, 1 switch and everything by myself.
Basically, I don't understand anything what comes to that lab setup, I mean what to connect to what.

I would be interested in some suggestions as well. I'm comfortable with the basics, I understand the principles of subnetting, vlans, etc, just never had the opportunity to use them (where you actually learn).

I would really be interested in learning about how large(r) networks are designed and put together. Interconnects between core devices, fiber, etc.

I've been looking for a job for 6 months. Unfortunately since it's a smaller town there's not a lot of opportunities for this kind of work, and the one there are seem to be looking for someone that can jump in and take over everything for the guy that's leaving.

Basically, I don't understand anything what comes to that lab setup, I mean what to connect to what.
Figuring out what to connect to what is the easy part. The hard part is figuring out how to configure it all at layer 2 and layer 3 once it's connected. :)

I suggest buying a CompTIA Network+ book and starting there.
If you want to be bold and jump in feet first you can get an ICND1 book for the CCENT certification from Cisco. I think there is a whole thread dedicated to it here called the CCENT study guide thread. Check it out.

I would be interested in some suggestions as well. I'm comfortable with the basics, I understand the principles of subnetting, vlans, etc, just never had the opportunity to use them (where you actually learn).

I would really be interested in learning about how large(r) networks are designed and put together. Interconnects between core devices, fiber, etc.
That's exactly what can I do and what I want to learn.

Figuring out what to connect to what is the easy part. The hard part is figuring out how to configure it all at layer 2 and layer 3 once it's connected. :)

I suggest buying a CompTIA Network+ book and starting there.
If you want to be bold and jump in feet first you can get an ICND1 book for the CCENT certification from Cisco. I think there is a whole thread dedicated to it here called the CCENT study guide thread. Check it out.

Thanks, I will try to serch them. I found some CompTIA Network Training videos. Will that be helpful?

Thanks, I will try to serch them. I found some CompTIA Network Training videos. Will that be helpful?
Can't hurt. I'm more of a visual learner anyway. I've never really been able to read technology books. They are so dry.
I prefer videos or hands on.

+1 for cyr0n_k0r's suggestion. The Network+ books should give you a good overview of the subject.

Recommended books (Net+)
1. Michael Meyers - CompTIA Network+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, 5th Edition
2. Todd Lammle - CompTIA Network+ Study Guide: Exam N10-005
3. Tamara Dean - Network+ Guide to Networks, Fifth Edition

Server specific tech:
1. 70-642 - Lookup on Microsoft's website for syllabus details/book info
2. The Accidental Administrator: Linux Server Step-by-Step Configuration Guide

Any one of the three above runs about $30~$50. Not a bad deal, tons of useful info.

Additionally, looking at the Cisco books/certification can give you not only a great perspective on networking but also a serious set of skills that are pretty valuable today.

As for training videos, there's a pretty wide selection. Train Signal or CBT Nuggets would be the best resources available and they cover a wide range of tech. Anywhere from CompTIA to MS to VMware.

In terms of learning about how exactly large networks are put together, I've rarely come across those in any books (probably in a few architecture specific papers).

For networking (and I think others may agree that) there's pretty much no "one-size-fits-all" solution. Most of the materials available will give the basic overview of what technologies exist, what it does and where it'll most likely fit.

It's up to you to understand what your network needs are; and where and when to implement certain tech.

Hi guys,
I'm currently in high school (I'll do university & college), but I want to know more about networking (mainly servers) and their hardware.
I just wanted a little clarification, you wanted know about networking equipment (routers, switches, firewalls, etc) or servers (hp, dell, ibm, sun, windows server, linux, virtualization etc)?

The reason i ask is because the image you posted shows mostly networking equipment from what i can tell.

In terms of learning about how exactly large networks are put together, I've rarely come across those in any books (probably in a few architecture specific papers).
This is no lie. In most Cisco materials I'm studying for right now for my CCNP and CCDP all the network designs are based on an unlimited budget. They assume you have everything redundant, Layer 3 devices everywhere with redundant links and unlimited bandwidth (1gig fiber uplinks everywhere)
Is it best practice? Sure. But you show me a network that follows EVERY single best practice and I'll eat my hat.
The real world is never like that. Usually you find things have been patched together for 10 years with whatever was available at the time.

Even when you are designing something from scratch you still have to work around a budget and business needs. Is is "better" to have a fully redundant layer 3 network? Depends. Does your business need that? Do they have the budget for it? Do they have the personnel to maintain that type of design? All these decisions and more go into every network design. So how you see something laid out in a book is not always how every business operates.

Go for your CCENT, it will get your feet wet in the deep waters of networking and be a great start to your studies. Study material and cert vouchers shouldn't cost more than $300 total.

Go for your CCENT, it will get your feet wet in the deep waters of networking and be a great start to your studies. Study material and cert vouchers shouldn't cost more than $300 total.

If that. Grab Odom's book for the ICND1 (I bought the set for 1 & 2 from Amazon for $30) and read that. It does cover a little bit of Cisco specific stuff, but the majority of it (98%) is vendor neutral. But, it's not easy and it's not simple stuff like the Network+. It's real networking and how to hook things up and how they communicate together, etc.. It's not super in depth for Cisco, but it's not simple.

If that. Grab Odom's book for the ICND1 (I bought the set for 1 & 2 from Amazon for $30) and read that. It does cover a little bit of Cisco specific stuff, but the majority of it (98%) is vendor neutral. But, it's not easy and it's not simple stuff like the Network+. It's real networking and how to hook things up and how they communicate together, etc.. It's not super in depth for Cisco, but it's not simple.

Odom's books are great resources, I read through the ICND2 book last week.

Back