Boo Cry!

sl1982

Limp Gawd
So apparently i blew up my computer last night. Big black spot all around the mosfet area. Dont know if the cpu survived yet. Gunna be a huge ppd drop. :(

That sucks, did the PSU blow or something on the mobo?

Used the paperclip trick on the psu and it seems to be working. Pretty sure its the mobo. Hopefully didnt take my cpu along with it, but knowing my luck it did

Jetway PN78SM3-HL (Geforce 8200 IGP)
Phenom X4 9750
I bought something with integrated graphics as i couldnt afford a discrete card at the time. I guess i cant now either on my next board lol. Dammit and i was so close to getting some GPU folding going

Was hoping that it was an Intel proc, got a couple of extra boards around, thought I might could help. Don't have any extra AMD boards though, sorry.:(

Sorry about your luck man. Those damned things never seem to work if you let the magic smoke out.

Ah well no worries. If the cpu is still good i should have a system up and running shortly after christmas. Thanks for the offer though :D

The folding gods must have been angry for some reason and demanded a sacrifice. Too bad it had to be your mobo :(

Someone bring some chickens for sacrifice to appease the folding gods.

Sorry to hear this :(

sl1982, looks like alan2308 has found the thread you need to make a contribution to. Write a nice homage to the motherboard that was. ;)

Well some good news at least. My cpu and ram both survived the ordeal so im gunna be ordering the asus M3A79-T Deluxe. Figured i might as well get a video card as well so im grabbin a 8800gs (about all i can afford). Hopefully it gives me a decent ppd increase

Correct me if im wrong but the 8800gs is basically a 9600gso. So ppd would be similar

Correct me if im wrong but the 8800gs is basically a 9600gso. So ppd would be similar

Yes, correct unless it's the newest batch which have a neutered memory subsystem.

lol i helped sl1982 blow his motherboard up btw.. so you can half blame it on me for making him push his overclock more then it was :p dang cheap motherboards.. :p couldnt even handle a 500mhz overclock..

thumb_thisthreadisworthlesswithoutp.gif

The 8800gs isnt neutered though, only the 9600gso correct? And sirmonkey i probably would have pushed it anyways so no blame there

The 8800gs isnt neutered though, only the 9600gso correct? And sirmonkey i probably would have pushed it anyways so no blame there

The 8800GS is a safe bet, only the 9600GSO is a bit of a gamble.

Actually... the 9600GSO is basically a rebadged 8800GS. The thing to watch for with newer versions of the 9600GSO is shader count and memory bandwidth.

We had a discussion about that a while back (check Alan's weekly news from several issues back) and I pointed out the differences to look for. But as Xil said, the 8800GS is the safest bet for that level of card if you can find it for sale.

You are "correcto moondo" the 9600GSO with 96 shaders is simply a rebadged/renamed 8800GS. Like brother nomad8u said above, be very careful you don't get one of the new version 9600GSO's with only 48 shaders and a a 256-bit memory controller vs a previous model with a 192 bit memory controller and 96 shaders. :(

The reason you want more shaders is, AFAIK, they're what's most important for the F@H GPU2 client. ;)

Folding and WCGing for the CURE

shaders = 99% of gpu folding.. so yes your right jws2346.. their very important..

Back