Bondo on plastic?

Blasterboy460

[H]ard|Gawd
i went to home depot and saw bondo body filler, but it never said it was meant for plastic, how would i bond plastic to plastic and be able to sand and paint like bondo. thanks

Wait, are you talking about trying to adhere plastic to another piece of plastic? Or are you talking about using bondo on plastic? Please clarify.

The varibles that you have to research are the kinds of plastic you are using. Bondo is polyester based. It will adhere to acrylic (plexiglass), but it might dissolve some types of styrene plastic. If you are gluing plastic, a solvent bond is best. Buy a solvent for the type of plastic you are using. Acrylic, polystyrene, and PVC (white plumbing pipes) all have their specific solvents.

ok im taking this empty pocket thats usually right below my cd player and i want to turn it into a switch box. so what i want to do is bondo a pc 5.25 bay cover onto it(its a little loose on the sides but perfect height wise). so do i use the body filler bondo, and how hard is bondo to work with, ive never used it before
IMG_0793.jpg

It seems you are confused as to the purpose of Bondo. Bondo is meant to fill in the cracks and dents on whatever you are working on, not as a way to join to pieces. Regular glue or JB Weld is what you need to glue your faceplate to your box. Bondo would be used to smooth any unsightly gaps or cracks that would result from that glueing.

Mmmmkay?

Bondo is a filler meant to fill in slight imperfections; it is not an adhesive. You need a glue or an epoxy for what you want to do.

can anyone recomend a glue for this application? the sides are a little too small so im guessing a thick epoxy or sumthin

The easy way to attach the cover is use 3M double side tape on all 4 side, trust me, it will hold. Plus it's easier to remove in case something went wrong with the mod.

well i guess i could double side tape the top and botom but the sides a have a small gap, that is where i really want to bondo.

Shadowspawn said:
It seems you are confused as to the purpose of Bondo. Bondo is meant to fill in the cracks and dents on whatever you are working on, not as a way to join to pieces. Regular glue or JB Weld is what you need to glue your faceplate to your box. Bondo would be used to smooth any unsightly gaps or cracks that would result from that glueing.

Mmmmkay?

:D ;)

Back