• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Bombproof Builders Desk.....Build

When I was in my 20's 20 some years ago I built a entertainment center out of 2x12's 24 inches of durability! by the way I used no screw or nails just dowels and glue! it was 60" wide and 5 foot tall! and was only holding a 36 inch tv and vcr. man was I proud of it. too bad I built it in my trailer at the time and couldn't get it out. I built a boat in a basement so to speak. :eek:
 
Small update, my new keys showed up and I am lovin 'em, gonna try and get some MW:LL in tonight so I can get to work on my quickfire Review.

IMAG0689.jpg


IMAG0690.jpg


IMAG0691.jpg


Loving having a nuke key for my delete :D
 
Ok well my buddy is running behind with the CAD work at the moment so I am taking a whack at it. Using Free CAD this is what I got together tonight (I have never used any form of CAD before)

DeskBasic.jpg


Basic model of the area of the desk I am working with the green area will be hinged and the entire PC will be mounted underneath trapdoor style.I have mobo tray and back I salvaged from a LanCool Case.

IMAG0694.jpg


IMAG0696.jpg


IMAG0697.jpg


This will be mounted to the bottom of the highlighted piece of desktop. More CAD stuff to come as soon as I figure out how to make it :)
 
Just realised that I haven't posted up any good pics of the area that I will be installing the PC into. Here it is the area is about 30x19.25 on the outer dimensions.

IMAG0699.jpg


IMAG0700.jpg


IMAG0702.jpg




The goal is to have 2 shelves for the surround sound, XBOX 360 and PS3 with fans cooling them and the computer hanging above
 
A little better CAD model the bottom shelf is a piece of ply thats already there, while the other 2 with be a rubber coated wire mesh for maximum airflow. Bottom is Surround sound Head Unit then Xbox360 Slim then Big fat oldschool PS3 next this to work on is doors, fans and PC placement.

Deskbasicpopulated.jpg
 
you need to build a compartment for a mini fridge or something :p
 
Small update

My 2x4 HDMI Matrix Showed up in the mail yesterday, this little box of awesome will let me switch between 4 different HDMI inputs and out put them to either the 42 inch LCD or my projector or both at the same time! The reason for a device like this is that I plan on watching more stuff on my LCD than projector as much as possible due to the significantly shorter lifespan of the projectors bulb.

IMAG0721.jpg
]


Next up is my XFX 6950 2gb showed up today! Its been flashed to a 6970 Bios and although used is in like new condition. I moved my sapphire down to the next slot and slid the PCTV card inbetween and presto enough power to rock my triple monitor setup properly. I added some extra fans to make sure cooling doesn't become an issue.

IMAG0722.jpg


IMAG0723.jpg


IMAG0724.jpg


IMAG0727.jpg


IMAG0728.jpg


Now this is not the hardware I plan on mounting inside the desk its just my benching/review setup. For the Desk build I am hoping for a 2011 or AMD build so I will have enough PCI-E lanes for all of my needs.
 
Last edited:
Ok New update, while I am still wrangling with Cad I decided to start working on the layout of the custom printed vinyl layout for my desk top. As I have said before it will be Mech Warrior themed as that is my favorite gaming franchise and with the advent not or 2 but 4 new Mechwarrior games in the works I couldn't think of anything more appropriate. So right now I am going to be doing some test runs with the artwork and sizing for the areas I have to work with. First up I have the Map of the entire Inner Sphere which I got from the MechWarrior Online art page. I blew it up to 30' tall by 47' and printed it on some heavy duty paper, this is just to see how the artwork looks at this resolution I have not vectored or tweaked it yet but its always important to test print as you never know what you aren't seeing on your monitor.

Doing a rough trim.

IMAG0745.jpg


IMAG0746.jpg


Next tape it down to let it stretch a little and offgas.

IMAG0747.jpg


This is the area I want to put the map on.

IMAG0748.jpg


Do the final trim.

IMAG0749.jpg


And check how it lays out.

IMAG0751.jpg


IMAG0750.jpg
 
Heh, I just build up a classic gamer to play the MW2 trilogy and Fallout 1&2 on. P3-700, 768mb of PC133, 80gb HDD, Windows 98SE, and my favorite part in it, a 3DFX Voodoo3 3000. Its SO awesome.

So props on Mechwarrior and awesome setup!
 
Heh, I just build up a classic gamer to play the MW2 trilogy and Fallout 1&2 on. P3-700, 768mb of PC133, 80gb HDD, Windows 98SE, and my favorite part in it, a 3DFX Voodoo3 3000. Its SO awesome.

So props on Mechwarrior and awesome setup!

:D Thumbs up! Mechwarrior is awesome.
 
I have been thinking about throwing together a retro gamer PC, just have had too many other things going on, but yeah I would love to get some Star Trek Armada (1 not 2) MW:2 and MW:3 going on their own little box. Question is, can I make it in a tiny form factor)
 
With alittle ingenuity, you could put it in a box of matches. Just gotta figure out how much work you want to put into it.
 
mainly just something that I can hook up and have on my desk thats unobtrusive and doesn't look anything like a old computer.
 
Last edited:
You could just put the old parts in a new case. The ATX spec hasn't changed in quite some time.
 
Yeah I was just wondering when the Matx standard became popular but I doubt it would be early enough.
 
Last edited:
I've seen P2s on mATX before if I'm not mistaken. I don't know about off board video, but I'm mighty sure of P2/3, K6 and K7 Athlon on mATX. Those should all do Win98SE swimmingly.
 
How is that desk... bombproof?
At the risk of invoking Godwin's law, during WWII there was an assassination attempt at Hitler, which involved setting off a briefcase bomb under a table where Hitler was standing with his generals. The bomb went off exactly as planned, but Hitler escaped relatively unscathed--a portion of the desk standing between him and the bomb deflected the explosion enough to spare the Fuhrer.
 
Ok I am getting alot of pm's for a update so here is what I have so for in Sketchup (I switched from free CAD due to the huge amount of models available in sketchup) I will be using either a bench hinge or piano hinge (I am open to suggestions) The model is missing several components at the moment, I couldnt find the right fittings to go between the vid cards and I have no idea how to make tubing yet (still new with digital design stuff) I am using 7970's with EK blocks but that could change depending on parts sourcing ect... I am going to do the entire desk and then make the cad file available to anyone who wants it. The plan is to run a long loop to the radiator with enough flex for it to open or create a joint with 2 off valves and a quick disconnect in between. I am open to idea's for alternate whats to setup the WC loop or any suggestions in general, I want this to be as awesome as possible. I am also going to try to get sponsors for the next stage of the build so hopefully I can take this build up another notch!

Feel free to post questions and critiques and thanks for all of the response guys!

DeskshotPCdownOverallwide.jpg


Deskshot1.jpg


Deskshot2.jpg


DeskshotPCdownOverall.jpg


DeskshotPCup.jpg
 
Last edited:
I like the PC under desk idea, but with water cooling, I'd be worried about bubbles getting caught in the blocks, speciffically the VGA blocks.
 
interesting point Jorona, have you hadproblems with this or know someone who has with vid cards like this?
 
Last edited:
Are you using larger screws to secure the motherboard? I'd be afraid of all that weight pulling on the normal tiny screws. Especially with water.
 
Sorry man, no experience with that kind of mounting arrangement. I've build watercooled towers and desktops, but never upside down. I would think if it were bled properly, it shouldn't be an issue, but those reseviours would have to be very full to make sure you don't suck air with the way the fill and draw. I also don't think the system will like being flipped over. I'd hard mount the res so it doesn't move when the tray is flipped and just use long hoses. That way you dont have to worry about it suddenly sucking air when you flip it over.
 
Well I have always had a backup plan of mounting it rightside up it just seemed so much less.....interesting
 
Back
Top