• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

BOINC/GPUgrid on CentOS7

ChristianVirtual

[H]ard DCOTM x3
Joined
Feb 23, 2013
Messages
2,561
After my recent battles with Ubuntu 14.10 and nVidia driver installation I switched over to the RH-flavor of distributions and installed CentOS7. Right now I'm perfectly fine with that for FAH with three GPU (1x780 and 2x970).

I would like to additionally install GPUgrid and try how the 970 will do there (and to have an alternative once the only working project 9201 runs dry). But seems no BOINC/GPUgrid in official repositories; saw posting that someone raised a ticket to get it included back in September; nothing yet.

Any manual way to get installed under CentOS7 ?
TIA
 
Last edited:
I use SL 6.5 to get my teslas running and must say anything other than Ubuntu tends to be somewhat of a pita libraries wise.

You can try adding the EPEL repos and see if you can find a version there...
I have stayed away from CentOS7 as it gives off the not fully baked vibe.

The downside to the EPEL repos (atleast for 6.5) is the version of boinc contained tends to be rather old and not use gpus very well.

I will try and toy around with CentOS 7 this week and one of my 970s and see what I find.
 
I tried it (CentOS 7) and love it for F@h. Seems to be a lot better with video drivers than Ubuntu. I haven't had any luck with the BOINC client yet (though I haven't had a ton of time to try).
 
found a blog; while written in Japanese I guess we all can read the main part: http://blog.nyamulab.net scroll down to BOINCクライアントのコンパイル ( CentOS 7 )

Did the steps as described (basically compiling from source); in addition opened the port 31416 on the firewall and smashing my head again because of gui_rpc* and remote_host config missing :eek:

But eventually I'm downloading GPUGrid tasks again for my nVidia boards :D

and working under CentOS 7 , nV 343.22, with two 970 and one 780 ; glad I can use my CentOS 7 now with GPUgrid again ... :)
 
Last edited:
That is great news. I guess this makes you the CentOS expert now..... lol
 
Great work ! Good to have some competition on GPUGrid (cannot see you yet on BOINCstats though :))
 
If you're interested, Milkyway@Home and SETI@Home both have GPU apps for BOINC. I run GPU apps just fine with BOINC 6.10 on CentOS. IIRC, I got the rpms from EPEL. You'll want this repo anyway, as there's a bunch of cool stuff there, not found in the regular repos. Happy crunching.
 
Back
Top