BOINC and F@H: Bad Idea?

Mnx4

[H]ard|Gawd
I had posted in the boinc forums about a problem I was having with seti@home jobs and the admin pointed out that I shouldn't run F@H and Boinc at the same time. Is this true?

I run F@H on my 285 and use only 3/4 cores on my q9550. I only use 3 cores since I noticed that F@H needed some CPU time as well. The projects I run are seti, world community grid and poem. Seti would be the only one who conflicts with F@H, but I've disabled the option for GPU work units. So, am I still wrong to run both?:confused:

I run both all the time (F@H on GPU, BOINC on CPU). I don't run Seti, though, so it sounds like it might be a problem with that specific project.

Ditto w/SazanEyes.

I've run BOINC (WCG) on CPU & F@H on GPU previously. I used WinAFC to set priorities. I set GPU to highest available priority (they only used a few cycles depending on the number of GPUs running) and left BOINC to normal and they picked up the slack. Never (in the 18 months I did it) did I have a problem.

I did not however run SETI so I can't speak to that. If you use a program, like WinAFC, to set priorities, you should be ok.

i run F@H on CPU and BOINC on GPU.
Works good for me :)

Thanks for the input. The problem I posted in the boinc forums was with priorities, and in hindsight, it was a problem with settings and my interpretation for those settings.

The option in boinc was set to never use GPU, but that didn't keep seti from downloading projects which could use the GPU. And listed in the priorities section, it was noted that .33 cpus and 1 CUDA GPU were available to process the work unit. I guess with boinc, if there's a possibility to offload a task onto a gpu, that task seems to be delayed from using cpu resources for projects which don't have the luxury of processor choice. Coupled with a never use gpu setting, this left a couple of recent work units to be not used indefinitely.

I've since set my preference with the seti option page to not send GPU work units, but the servers are down so I've yet to see if this will be the fix i need for my priority problem.

Cheers:D

Back