Bobcat X86

Zachstar

[H]ard|Gawd
I am surprised to find very little discussion about this upcoming core from AMD with Intel seemingly lowering expectations for the 2011 atom and 2010 atoms being lackluster for anything other than having lower wattage.

Bobcat, however looks like its going to steal Atom's remaining thunder in 2011

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di..._System_on_Chip_40nm_Fabrication_Process.html

AMD itself recently confirmed that Ontario – which features two x86 cores based on Bobcat micro-architecture, integrated DirectX 11-class graphics core and DDR3 memory controller – is actually a single-chip system-on-chip (SoC) device. What AMD did not reveal was manufacturing process used to make the forthcoming product. However, based on the documents seen by X-bit labs, the Ontario accelerated processing unit (APU) will be made using bulk 40nm process technology.

40nm bulk is a GOOD choice in my opinion. It wont have the boom of 32nm Bulldozer but it means chips that are cheap and with graphics that work right without having to have to rely on another chip in the system.

2011 may see AMD storm back on the scene.

definitely sounds interesting.. lets just hope they have the temps under control.. AMD's mobile sector hasnt been very good with temps on their processors and this is basically what its going to be..

definitely sounds interesting.. lets just hope they have the temps under control.. AMD's mobile sector hasnt been very good with temps on their processors and this is basically what its going to be..

Its hard to get temps under control when you use a 65nm process.

Neo is crap and never stood a chance in heck to unseat atom. However Intel is screwing up. Higher cost Atom cores and forced NB while 2011 looks to have zip for improvement on the IGP.

Notice how the cost of netbooks keep going up? They started out at less than 200USD and now costs soar to over 400 easily. If AMD is able to fab these and sell the package at similar or slightly greater than todays atom it will unseat atom.

this is very interesting :p now i can buy a netbook(jk, i wasnt buying one anyhow...)

as for not seeing discussion here....well this isnt very [H]ard....thats low power, not power sucking!!!

Just think, you might be able to buy a cheap netbook with integrated graphics and a cpu powerful enough to chew through most modern games (at the lowest settings) and HD video all while keeping the battery usage low.

To date, any netbook with an Atom and an integrated Intel chipset couldn't even do that. All the netbooks that could do both of those things were several hundred dollars more and had to integrate some 3rd party solution.

Just think, you might be able to buy a cheap netbook with integrated graphics and a cpu powerful enough to chew through most modern games (at the lowest settings) and HD video all while keeping the battery usage low.

To date, any netbook with an Atom and an integrated Intel chipset couldn't even do that. All the netbooks that could do both of those things were several hundred dollars more and had to integrate some 3rd party solution.

Ion like performance for atom cost (back to 150-200 USD netbooks please) at 5W or so would completely change the market.

Netbooks arent supposed to game very well but atoms performance is just horrid for 2010. COD4 at low settings ought to be minimal for lowest cost medium settings would be nice but I rather save 25-50usd.

Don't even begin with gaming for the atom CPU's, they can't even do HD output without lagging, hence 3rd party graphics solution.

Basically, as long as AMD's solution can do at least 1080p blu-ray playback, it will beat out the Atom. I'm sure there's people who would like to take a small netbook, plug it into a TV, and use it as a portable blu-ray player, or play HD youtube videos. That's my opinion anyways.

Atom filled a void but Intel has always been stupid with their chipsets to go with their lower cost products. Hopefully this will change that.

Back