Boaty McBoatface Ready for Launch

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Not that we generally concern ourselves with the largest commercial ship built in Britain in three decades, the Sir David Attenborough will always be Boaty McBoatface to us.

At least this was more interesting than the Magic Leap demo we just watched.

2. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

I think they should have at least put "Boaty McBoatface" in quotations and/or smaller font on the side and/or rear of the vessel just to honor the results of the polling.

3. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

4. Rahh

Rahh [H]ard|Gawd

Sad they didn't honor the poll... On top of that what an abomination just like all of the other ginormous cruise liners destroying reef, creating shoreline eyesores, and disrupting marine life. I hope they all sink!

auntjemima and Armenius like this.
  5. Mohonri

Mohonri [H]ardness Supreme

Why do I see a different image when I click on the picture on the front page?

6. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

Vandalism will read:
    "Boaty McBoatface"

7. Tsumi

Tsumi [H]ardForum Junkie

This is a polar research vessel. Presumably one of the research studies being the effect we have on the environment.

brucethemoose and IcePickFreak like this.
  8. LodeRunner

LodeRunner [H]Lite

Looks like it's a bit under 130m in length and 24m beam width. That's quite a bit smaller than the ginormous cruise liners (typically 250-360m in length and 30-40m beam width, or around 2-3x overall); tonnage wise, it's listed at 12.9k tons displaced vs. the 85-130k tons displaced for cruise ships. So an order of magnitude on the high end, and still about 6x on the low end.

9. Teenyman45

Teenyman45 [H]ard|Gawd

I'd still like to see somebody re-purpose one of the newest breeds of mega-sized cruise ship hulls repurposed to serve as a private yacht with only a few staterooms. It's not like the largest yachts can use regular ports anymore as it is anyways.

10. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

They're getting close...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azzam_(2013_yacht)

11. Teenyman45

Teenyman45 [H]ard|Gawd

I'm aware of that ship. It's why I was saying just use a cruise ship hull. It seems more space efficient, and it's definitely more cost effective.

Have you seen the pictures of the giant yachts that can't even dock at Monaco?

DejaWiz likes this.
  12. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ Little Bitch

with the way the polls not meaning anything works in britain, they might as well called it Brexit.

GoldenTiger and DejaWiz like this.
  13. Nicepants42

Nicepants42 Gawd

I'm honestly pretty impressed with how the poll was handled. They remain accurate to naval terms ("Shippy McShipface" doesn't have the same ring to it) as an excuse to use a more dignified name for RRS Sir David Attenborough, and we still get a "Boaty McBoatface" that is actually a boat.

I mean this is about as 'everyone wins' as we could reasonably hope for in this scenario.

Although, I feel that they should've used the un-abbreviated form "MacBoatface", just so that people would read it in a more Sean Connery-esque voice.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 9:57 AM
  14. Mohonri

Mohonri [H]ardness Supreme

It's worth visiting that link just to look at the other popular names suggested for the new craft. There are some pretty awesome/groan-worthy ones on there.