Board not keeping overclock

onetwenty8k

2[H]4U
CPU: Intel E2160
Motherboard: Gigabyte P35 DS3L
RAM: 4GB OCZ 2x2GB (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16820227195)

Okay, here is the problem and I just noticed it. I had my CPU overclocked to 3.0Ghz with 9x333 on the board, I hadn't restarted my computer in a while but when I went to install Vista from XP, I noticed that my overclock was no longer there. The overclock was stable for the as long as I had known, no crashes or anything. I immediately thought that my CMOS battery had died, but the board and parts are quite new, no more than two months old. The time is still set correctly, and my other settings like no splash screen and USB support are still there, it is simply when I increase the FSB that it doesn't hold anymore. Any suggestions?

What I've tried:

Optimize Defaults, reboot, set OC, reboot.
Setting a different FSB speed
Putting the voltage control on auto

I even updated the BIOS to F8a which is still a beta BIOS but no go. I am really stumped what this could be, the regular BIOS settings are fine but no overclock holds.

Did you OC the RAM at all or change the timing? Sometimes that can be the problem. If the RAM is not working right the whole OC can reset at start.

Well yes but it is rated to run at 800 with an increase in voltage and it ran well for the month and a bit before, I'll try lowering it to 667 speeds I guess.

You may still be able to run it at 800, but you may have to adjust the timings a bit.

It sure would be nice if Gigabyte boards would include some kinda of message as to what failed during POST that is causing it to revert back to stock settings. It's very annoying trying to figure out what went wrong and why. I mean, obviously the board found something that isn't kosher making it go back to stock settings, so why can't they display that information.

Off to Gigabyte's suggestion box I go. :)

BTW: Have you tried increasing your FSB, PCIe and MCH voltages by +1?

Okay, here are the results.

I took the RAM down to 400Mhz and put the FSB up 1Mhz and it reverted back to stock but the memory setting stuck. I now have it running at stock CPU speed but I put my memory at 800Mhz and it's working fine. It's just the CPU increased FSB that won't stick. Is my motherboard crapping out on me? I really don't want to take apart my entire computer, that's just a pain the in cmos.

I have no other ideas other than play around with the settings a bit more. If that doesn't help, try and contacting Gigabyte about an RMA.

One more thing though. You probably didn't, but I just want to make sure. Did you at all mess around with the CMOS jumper?

I haven't reset the CMOS yet, but I will once I take out my wireless NIC. It's just a pain to clear the CMOS.

I made a nifty little mod for jump-based cmos clearing. Cut the 2pin connector off a fan and wired a momentary push-button switch to it and mounted that to the back of my case. Stuck that bad boy on the CMOS jumper header and viola, instant push button CMOS reset w/out having to remove my video card.

But, yes, clear the CMOS and start over. Double check all your settings. If that still doesn't work then an RMA is probably in order.

Back