BoA: Americans Can't Last A Day Without A Smartphone

I have been making this argument for a while and most folks don't understand why I would want this.

My perfect communication device would be the size of a 1st gen nano, or the size of current gen smart watches. (small, portable and easy to fit in a pocket or on the wrist.) I would then have this device pair via bluetooth an ear-bud for making and receiving voice calls. I would have this device handle simple tasks like voice, mp3, small screen caller id and what not. I would also have this device share its bandwidth with a larger computing device such as a tablet, or ultrabook. These larger devices would handle texting, emails, content consumption and content creation. Give me 2 devices that handle their perspective tasks very well rather than a jack of all trades.

The current crop of "wrist watch cell phones" are NOT this at all. They pair with your smart phone and act as "headphones" and a wireless input device.
I'm waiting for ones that the watch IS the cell phone and that is all you need.
But really a reliable voice recognition tech will have to be how it operates. Since the display is so small browsing call lists, etc is not going to be very effective.

You have to be able to say "Call Dave" and it recognizes your voice and makes the call.
This tech has been around for a while but is it reliable?? Mmmm, no.

This is because there are NO available pay (LAND-LINE) phones anywhere to be found. Soon employers will remove ALL work phones and require employees to use their cell phones to conduct business. :eek:

I'm surprised that half of all Americans can even work a smartphone.

Like birds can do any better. :mad: All those burny talons and pecking beak business and I betcha that voice recognition won't at all translate stuff like, "Screech! Skreee! Caw!" into, "Find the nearest pet store that sells bulk sunflower seeds."

Clearly cats are superior in that respect because there's lots of video proof that they can interact with touchscreens and walk across or lay on keyboards.

I don't have a "smart" phone. My phone is a Star Trek-style flip phone that can make phone calls, send/receive texts, and take pictures. And I only need it to do those first two things. I simply can't justify all the extra costs for "smart" phone features and data plans I would never use. I'm sure if my job involved a lot of travel like kbrickley I would find one very useful.

I felt the same way for years...well, since I got my first cell phone, which was almost 15 years ago. Recently I switched from my Verizon "feature phone" to the LG G2 on Ting. My first bill was $38.50 lower (and would be >$65 less than what the G2 plan would have been on Verizon), and in fact over a two-year contract at this rate I'll still save $18 a month over what I had been paying previously for a feature phone. That's counting the upfront cost of the phone. Do I need a smartphone? No...but now I don't look like a momo when I go for an interview.

I don't own a smartphone and have no intention of getting one. When I go home I intend to unplug, if it's a big enough emergency it will be worth an actual phone call.

This "study" is stupid. For example, I used to wear a wristwatch. I checked it probably 50 times per day to see what the time was, etc. You could probably have said that "I couldn't last a day without my watch".

Since I got a cellphone, I mostly stopped wearing my watch. I simply check my phone when I want to know what time it is. So even if I used my phone for nothing more than simply checking the time, I would still fit the criteria in the article for someone who "Can't Last A Day Without A Smartphone".

Let's ask the opposite question: Who the hell has a smartphone and doesn't use it at least once per day? What's the point of even having a smartphone in that situation?

This study is BS. A smartphone is a device that has replaced multiple devices in one. IMO the biggest reason you could say "you couldn't go a day" is for the "phone" functionality, not the "smart" functionality. If I just had a regular landline or flip phone, I could get by using a laptop/desktop PC just fine. If I had to give up the phone portion of my smartphone my business would come to a screeching halt.

Considering I'm whittling down which flip phone to go back to in order to ditch the touchscreen piece of shit that I can't even answer on occasion because the screen locks up, I guess I'm part of the other half.

He wasn't funny in that video or any movie I've seen. He's the most overrated comedian I can think of.

Back