BMW Security Vehicle Training

HardOCP News

[H] News
Even though most of the techniques in this video might apply, I think the only thing these guys didn't cover in the video was a zombie outbreak. And, before you ask, this is a real video made by BMW.

Retarded. In the first case the dude would have gotten shot in the face and blown up. The other cases were just slowed down, dramatic scenes to showcase BMW's doing lame maneuvers.

The main purpose of these are probably marketing videos like those "action movie" shorts starring Clive Owen were a few years ago, and at the same target audience.

pretty slick.. I mean some of it is lame but in the real world it is better to have response then shit bricks.

Case 1: Pretty standard, doesn't account for a rear blockade/assault
Case 2: They need to train the drivers to use driver by the sensors, he had plenty of room and didn't need to hit the guardrail.
Case 3: Only works if you are aware the car is attempting to cut you off and there is enough room on the road for them to spin clear.
Case 4: Just stupid, unless they are blowing out the vehicles tires, I am not sure what the value of that simulation is. Assuming this training is for the Middle East, going off road is not going to be a very safe spot to be. I guess this would just be a test of emergency vehicle control in changing conditions, but honestly just blowing charges in the grass isn't going to teach the driver much.

There is a school in Virgina that has much better training sims.

Agree that the video is pretty weak. Obviously from the drivers seat it's probably exponentially more exciting, but BMW didn't do a very good job translating that.

Of course, maybe that's for the benefit of the interested clientele.

We need one of these cars for the good, old' Box O' Truth

They do a decent job of shooting one up here.

It's dumb to people like us who mostly can't afford these vehicles anyway, nor do we need them... but to the target audience, I'm sure it's not so dumb.

The convoy maneuver did seem surprisingly lame though. WTF is up with attacking car putting himself in perfect position to be spun out like that??? Reminds me of WWF wrestling.

I love how they say the only way past the blockade is to run INTO the guard rail, not negotiate between the guard rail and the 3 feet between the blockade and BMW...

Plenty of Room

I didn't know we had so many trained bodyguards/security experts on this forum! Maybe you should apply for a job at BMW (which of course you will get with your wealth of experience and training) and tell them how to do their job right since apparently they aren't right now.

I don't understand the point of any of the fire explosions in the video. Least of all the first one in case #1. Is the driver supposed to predict them somehow? How is the driver in case #4 supposed to react to a bunch of randomly placed explosives?

I mean, i imagine the general idea is to get out of the area and find a better defensible position immediately, why start driving wildly around?

I will disagree with you guys about running the gaurd rail though. If it is indeed very low visibility running the gaurd rail is the highest chance of "wedging" through if you're not completly sure that there actually is a full opening or not.

Kind of lame video, but I'd love to have those cars.However if I ever were to buy a German luxury car it would probably be Mercedes or Audi. BMW charges a stupid amount of money for extras. You can easily turn the 5-series from a €35k car into a €100k car just by adding extras to it. How can extras cost more than the car itself?!

Back