• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

bluray through computer + hd audio possible?

oqvist

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Dec 24, 2001
Messages
8,936
I use power DVD 8 and as I understand it you can´t pass a HD audio stream 5.1 anyway through spdif?

I would have to send analogue PCM I suspect but problem is I don´t have computer speakers but home theater speakers which just have spdif and stereo rca inputs.

I get audio if I choose the dts hd or dolby digital track though but may just have some dolby digital it falls back too? (even if that is a separate track on both the blu ray movies I watched.
Any experts around here that knows a cheaper way to get Hd audio without buying an expensive receiver or crappy computer speakers which makes it totally pointless?
 
I can't speak for HD or it's audio as I'm using DVD9 seems it's BlueRay only.
Those interested in BlueRay on your PC's this is my hardware/software to have DTS Digital

LG Internal BlueRay/HD/DVD player model H20L Cost $100
Logitech THX Digital Z-5500 Speakers Cost $300
Sound Card is PCIe - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro 64Mb X-ROM Cost $140
CyberLink PowerDVD9
.......Cost is $540......

Just set to:
Use S/PDIF in PowerDVD9
X-Fi in Mode= Entertainment then "Encoder" OFF
My BlueRay's auto play with display "DTS Digital" on my Z-5500 screen
 
Last edited:
There are a number of problems getting HD audio out of a PC.
Firstly the Blu Ray player software must not downsample HD audio, all the current players do this except for that which comes free with the Asus HDAV 1.3
Second, you need to comply with the copy protection otherwise non HD streams will be used.
Third, you need to use a HDMI AV amp, surround HD audio will not fit down SPDIF/Optical

There is only one solution to achieve this (that I am aware of, new products have been due).
Its the above mentioned Asus HDAV 1.3 HDMI soundcard.
As expected, this needs an HDMI connection to an HDMI AV amp that is HDCP compliant.
 
What video cards have hdmi then? I am probably getting an onkyo 607 receiver. Isn´t it possible to output the hdmi signal straight from a video cards hdmi including the audio stream? Since you obviously can output the audio stream to Asus HDAV 1.3 and the upcoming Auzentech card with the same feature?

I do have a PS 3 so I have it solved that way even though I would like to have VGA out. But won´t work as I understood it on PC and there is no receivers with VGA out :(
 
No matter what you do, you need a software player that wont down sample the sound and you need a secure audio path to play protected audio.
The only player that wont downsample the sound comes with the Asus HDAV1.3, and the only way to get a secure audio path in Windows is with the Asus HDAV1.3.

This card has HDMI in to take your PCs video and add the sound to it. You can use a DVI to HDMI converter.
It then connects via HDMI to your amp.
 
Last edited:
Amps don't have HDMI connections. Rofl. I think you meant receiver or processor.
 
Couldn't you just avoid the soundcard altogether and just use a ATI HD4xxx series card like the HD4670 which outputs 7.1 LPCM with an HDMI to DVI cable?
 
Couldn't you just avoid the soundcard altogether and just use a ATI HD4xxx series card like the HD4670 which outputs 7.1 LPCM with an HDMI to DVI cable?

It doesnt give us a secure audio path and doesnt come with a Blu Ray player that will pass HiDef audio without downsampling.
 
So in either way I am getting stuck with HDMI out to my TV? Can´t run VGA even with the HDAV 1.3 solution or can you run some splitter?
 
You can use AnyDVD HD to remove the HDCP copy protection thus allowing Blu Ray disks to play over VGA.
This wont give you high def sound though.

You wont be able to get high def multichannel sound down anthing but HDMI if using digital.
You can output high def via analogue with the analogue daughter board that Asus sells for the HDAV 1.3
 
I use power dvd which seem to have the same feature? Or no of my bluray discs have hdcp protection :)
 
PowerDVD allows you to use HDCP protected content over VGA however, if you want to use the Asus HDAV1.3, you need to use the included software, you can't use PowerDVD.
 
I know. And even if I could I could still not use VGA unless auzentech pulls some magic with their card :). They do use power dvd as partner.
 
Back
Top