Bluetooth headsets

Polarhound

I suck at [H]F
Joined
Feb 11, 2003
Messages
1,305
Picked up my first bluetooth headset for my phone today, a Motorola HS850.

Is it normal for it to feel somewhat loose on the ear? I'll be using it for work, and it feels like one good bounce will send it flying.
 
I have a Razr, and bought a similar headset. Frankly, its in drawer. became just another gadget requiring charging and fiddling. I got annoyed with the messing with it, and put it away. h8 talking on the phone unless it has purpose, so,unless its a support call, I don't talk t much anyway.

thats just me, but yes, it felt way insecure loose.
 
I've been reading up on the headset I bought, and I may bring it back after testing it somewhat tomorrow.

I plan on using this headset with two phones and an external bluetooth adapter. I drive a straight-truck at work, and this is where the noise issue will be most prevalent. The HS850 doesn't use an earbud, so ambient noise may be an issue.

If it works, great.. I only paid $49.99 for it at Rat Shack. If not, I'll try another model.

It is not really an option for me to NOT use one, as the last thing I need is a $100 ticket for using a cell-phone while driving... ESPECIALLY on company time.
 
Picked up my first bluetooth headset for my phone today, a Motorola HS850.

Is it normal for it to feel somewhat loose on the ear? I'll be using it for work, and it feels like one good bounce will send it flying.

I have the same one..I found thaI need to "wrap" it around my ear for it to really feel comfortable....
When its in the right position, the boom is actually closer to my eye than it is my mouth...but it works fine this way, and feels a lot more secure...


it might look funny, but most people think your talking to yourself anyway :)
 
Got it all charged up, and gave it a run today.

Keep in mind, I am also using this with Cardo BTA-II bluetooth adapter as neither phone I am using (Virgin Mobile for personal, Verizon for business) is bluetooth-capable.

Horrid. Absolutely horrid. Every time I turn my head, it felt like it was going to fly off. The microphone picks up so much ambient noise that I can barely use it in my car... I can only imagine how bad it would be in my work truck.

Went back to Rat Shack and exchanged it for a Plantronics Voyager 510. It is charging right now, but when I test-fit it before leaving the store it felt MUCH more secure on my ear. It has noise-cancelling as well, which the Motorola lacked.

Tomorrow will be the big test for it as I will be out on the road all day.
 
Just tested it out. It is like night and day.

The Plantronics is solid on my ear, connects in under 3 seconds, and comes with three interchangable earbuds.

Signal is good enough that I had to walk up a flight of stairs and to the opposite end of my (albeit) small house and crank up the ambient noise to a high level before I had anything more than minor static. Total usable range is about 6-7 yards and going through a wood floor with water pipes in the way.
 
I had that motorola, and then a jabra. I switched to the plantronics HS510. That one is very secure on the ear, and has a longer range from my phone (T-mobile Dash). I am on the phone constantly during the day with some of my peers, so I really enjoy having 2 hands available for other activities.

After a battery of business trips the Plantronics has become my favorite with the Jabra XR10 as my backup. The plantronics holds a charge longer, and seems to have more talk time.
 
That motorola hs850 has one of the loosest ear loops ever. The headset constantly feels like it is just hanging on the edge of your ear and never seems flush against the ear. Almost any motorola that charges using a mini USB connector like the newer Moto phones does not have that same problem

I love my samsung wep200 btw. Best headset ever but a unique fit system so make sure you can return it when you buy it.
 
btw 50$ for that headset is ridiculous. It is so old at this point and the newer headsets sound a lot better also. You can find it online for 25$ with the newer mini USB ones for 35-50.
Cingular usually has rebates on headsets so check them out.

I would only recomend Samsung Wep200, Planetronics Voyager 510, Motorola H700 in that order.
 
Back
Top