Bluetooth headset range outdoors?

Ravynmagi

[H]ard|Gawd
When I walk or run outdoors, I like to hold my phone in my hand as opposed to using an armband or something. And I just bought a bluetooth stereo headset to replace my wired headphones, the Jabra Sport.

Of course the first thing I do is pair it up with my Galaxy Nexus phone and go out for a walk to test them out. And I noticed every step I took, the audio would cut out. I was puzzled what was going on at first. So I come back and read the manual (things are bad when you have to read the manual) and see this...

"Bluetooth as a technology has limitations when used outdoors. For optimal reception, place mobile device above waist and on right side of body. Recommended placement is on your right arm."

It seems to explain why when I'm walking, the pumping motion of my arm causes the phone to move closer and further away from the headset and I guess in my hand it's on the edge of it's range.

It does say it has a 30 foot range indoors. I wonder why the range is so bad outdoors? I guess some diminishment is expected, but it's range is less than the length of my extended arm? Is this going to be a universal issue with any bluetooth headset or is this just not a good product for what I want?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Bluetooth uses reflections from the walls to enhance the signal when indoors. Outside, I wouldn't trust the range for more than 3-5 feet.

Bluetooth also runs on 2.4GHz and that's absorbed well by the water in your body. So if the transmitter has to go through you, the signal is dampened significantly.

That explanation makes sense. I tested it more after reading your reply and it turns out the distance wasn't the issue, it's when the phone gets too close to my body that causes it to cut out.

I guess a bluetooth headset is a bad idea for what I wanted to use it for. Gonna go back to my wired headphones. Thanks.

Back