• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Bluetooth for VoIP?

Shinji

Gawd
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Messages
519
I'm in the market for a headset for my computer to use for VoIP (probably Google Talk) but I'm pretty confused.

I've looked at getting just a standard analog headset...but after some research I discovered that my laptop (a 700m) has trouble with it's mic-in port (http://www.jumboprawn.net/jesse/projs/inspiron_700m_mic/index.html) so that options out.

Now I'm stuck between getting a usb headset (like the Plantronics DSP-500) or going for a bluetooth usb dongle and a bluetooth headset for some mobility.

Has anyone here used a bluetooth headset for VoIP? Will it work like it does on a phone? Basically I'm wondering if I can use my computers speakers, start receiving a call, push the little button on the headset, and have the audio and mic routed to the headset instead of the PC speakers...then when the call ends route back to the PC speakers. Is that possible?
 
it depends a bit on the bluetooth stack that you are going to install. From what I remember bluesoleil will integrate with Skype so that -in theory- you can push to answer an incoming VoIP call.

While I am a huge BT fan, I must say that you may have some headaches. The BT dongle that I have comes with the Widcomm stack and I was unable to get my BT headset to receive sound from any windows application. In retrospect, there were a couple of options that I did not try, so it may work. The point I am trying to make is: if you really want the mobility, then you will have to go BT. Otherwise, a USB headset may make your life a lot simpler.
 
Back
Top