Bluescreening when installing XP pro

Nemesis999

2[H]4U
Well, just bought a system for a friend from the for sale/trade forum and every time I try to install XP pro it bluescreens!

Anyways, any other version of windows seems to install fine, I'm currently on the system on... Windows ME *shudders*.

I also tried to install from ME via upgrade, same problem, gets past all the basic stuff, but as soon as it does the first reboot and tries to continue installation it bluescreens.

Anyone had this and/or have ideas on how to fix it?

btw: It was overclocked, I dropped it down to regular clocking and even below for a while to make sure that was in no way related, no change.

Running Memtest now.

It's a standard "Windows has detected a problem" bluescreen, I'll post a picture when I get up in the morning, dont want to wake people up while going to grab a camera.

I had the same problem with our Gateway, I wouldn't upgrade for the life of me. So finally I did a full format and it worked.

For future reference, those numbers mean something. ;) Please always either write them down or take a picture. ;)

My guess is that you were getting a bugcheck 7B since you didn't have mass storage controllers for your hardisk, assuming that all the other operating systems you installed worked fine, that the ram isn't a problem.

My guess is that you were getting a bugcheck 7B since you didn't have mass storage controllers for your hardisk, assuming that all the other operating systems you installed worked fine, that the ram isn't a problem.
It was a indeed a 7B, I popped in a disk with the SATA-RAID drivers and it worked perfectly :)

BTW: How long is memtest supposed to run? I let it run for a little under one and a half hours with no errors... Does it fun indefinitely? Or should I have just let it run longer?

Well, if you cleared up the problem, that's good.

And for reference, memtest runs indefinitely if you let it. You usually run it at least 6 hours to be sure the memory isn't flaky.

Back