• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Blue screening after X-Fi install

WCES Ryan

Gawd
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
723
I went and grabbed an X-Fi Fatality after work yesterday, and not long after I installed it and the related drivers/software, I started getting a lot of blue screens in XP (32 bit).Sending the error report to MS, it said the cause was an "unknown" device driver. Has anybody else had this problem? I downloaded the drivers off of Creative's website this morning, it hasn't happened again.... yet, but it is still perturbing.

I am also having issues in the Entertainment Center software, it froze up on me this morning, and I think it was running when a couple of the blue screens occured. Again, anybody have this problem?

HOWEVER: I should note that I also installed another gig of OCZ EL memory yesterday, so I'm not 100% that the blue screens are because of the X-fi, but the bluescreens seemed to start right after I installed the Creative software, and I ran memtest86 all night, 10 passes with no errors.

HELP!!
 
Okay just a cpl things to check. In your MB bios is onboard sound features disabled? Not familiar with your board so may be moot. What kind of vid card are you using? The updates at CL hopefully will solve your Bluescreen issue. I know they made a big deal about how the newer drivers & AC addressed some issues and was put out almost as soon as cards hit the market. Not actually played with the media center stuff yet myself so if it has a bug Im not aware. Have you asked over in CL's user forums, maybe someone there can be more help in that area
 
I disabled the onboard sound immediately after I installed the X-fi, before Windows even booted.

Video card is an evga 7800gtx, forceware 82.65. They ARE still a beta, but they work fine for everything else, so I'll leave that alone unless all else fails.
 
I had a similar issue on an older dell system, the problem was similar to yours. bought and installed an audigy2 and started bluescreening after that.

problem fix was a mobo bios update.
 
Diagnostics were fine, however I'm STILL getting bluescreens left right and center. I'm going to try and RMA the card so they can update the firmware.

NOT what I expected from a top of the line sound card, especially from Creative.
 
The Fatality isn't the model with the firmware issue, tho I understand Creative has been putting heatsinks on the APU. If Creative says there is a firmware update for the Fatality, by all means RMA it.
 
Back
Top