Blue Orb on a Core 2?

Nora

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 7, 2008
Messages
137
Hopefully in the near future I'll be updating to a Core 2 of some kind. I'm curently using a Thermaltake Blue Orb 2 cpu heat sink / fan,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106069 on a Pentium D 830, that is listed as using 130 watts of power. All most all of the Core 2's are listed at either 65 or 75 watts except for the Kentsfield, which like the D 830's are 130 watts. I'm rather fond of my monstrously huge Orb 2, However none of the Core 2's are listed in the compatibility chart, just the Pentium 4 / D, and Celeron socket 775 cpu's. (will also fit with some AMD's). Is there any reason why it would not offer proper cooling for the Core 2?
 
If it can hold up to a PD-Prescott, then I'd say it's safe for C2Ds. However, one of the Xigmatech HDTs would be cheaper and better.

Though, I am absolutely fine with going over an emotional choice vs. a purely statistical one when the difference is a matter of a couple degrees.
 
It will work fine, although if you plan on doing any overclocking I would suggest you upgrade to a more robust cooler like the Xigmatek HDT-1283.
 
You don't think it's sufficient enough to OC an E2180 in a thermaltake lanbox lite?

I have the Golden Orb II and am going to put it on an E2180 in the lanbox and was planning to OC to at least 2.5 ghz? but if it's not that good at cooling.. I guess the stock will have to d.
 
2.5GHz is an insignificant overclock for a Core 2. However, getting in the higher range of 3GHz and up requires some pretty hefty cooling. A Blue Orb 2 might be enough for an E2xxx series CPU since they don't use very much power, but for a higher-end dual core or quad core I would upgrade to something more substantial, especially considering you can get some very good prices on high-end air coolers these days.
 
We don't have lots of space in the LanBox.. i think the clearance is only 100mm
 
The Zalman CNPS8000 may fit. If not, it won't be the end of the world if you use the Golden Orb 2, as long as you watch your temps and don't go overboard. You should be good for at least 3GHz or so.
 
I tested the Blue Orb on my old Athlon X2 5000+ Windsor OC'd to 2.8 @ 1.45v which ran quite hot and it worked just fine. Didn't notice much temp difference from the Zalman 9500 except at the highest of loads and it ran quieter.

I know it's not the same chip but I have a feeling the E2180 runs cooler than a 90nm X2.
 
Back
Top