Blue LED Danger?!

the.ronin

Limp Gawd
You meet the darndest people at tech shops like Frys or Micro Center. I was looking at lighting options and reaching for a blue cathode, this harmless enough looking dude mutters under his breath, “I wouldn’t go with blue.”

I knew I’d regret it but I had to ask, “uhm ... why??”

“Cos it causes cancer man.”

“O RLY?”

“There have been studies ... that range of the light spectrum is harmful.”

I found it more amusing than anything else and proceded to just buy a blue LED strip anyway. (Evidenty, a cathode converter had fried inside his computer so I met him halway.)

A few days later, I couldn’t help but google “blue led danger” and was actually surprised at all the content out there about this ... of course I’ll take everything I read on the interwebs with a grain of salt, but could there be method to this madness?

haha old case had like 4 cathode's in it, and i sleep and work next to it- i should be dead :)

Ah! But are they BLUE!!??

blueled.JPG

so that means all cops are gonna get cancer sooner or later from their flashing blue lights? lmao

I really do hate those blue HIDs they put in cars though....

I appreciate the HIDs ... it’s the morons that drop HID ballasts into halogen housings or don’t know the first thing about properly aiming headlights.

Evidently it has already destroyed your taste so Cancer may have already started.

:p:D

The low power LED's and CFL's aren't a problem. Some of the higher power blue LED's can easily have their input current & frequency manipulated to put out significant UV, but its mostly UV-A (blacklight), and UV-B (tanning bed)... hardly the short wave UV that can blind, kill bacteria, and cause cancer. It would be easier to get UV-C out of a fluorescent bulb really.

Was these studies done by the same people who did the "eggs are bad for you... wait, no they're good... hold on, no they're bad... wait..." studies?

Did you check and make sure he wasn't wearing a tin-foil hat? :)

Exactly.

Ask him about condensation trails, lizard people living in the center of the earth, or the fact that the founding fathers were satanic. :rolleyes:

Freaking nut bars.

I love the randoms at microcenter. Although I can be "that guy" too, once helped someone buy an external hard drive as they had no idea what to look for and couldn't get a sales associate.

Everything gives you cancer! will it increase it probably. But blue cathodes are not blue. It's too much money to make one, I think they are just white with a thin blue plastic wrapping inside the bulb.

Blue leds I believe fall into the UV light range. If you are looking at that all the time I think that would screw up your eyes. Again who looks right into the led light anyways right?

Ok ok ok so I guess the blue lights don't do anything is what you all are trying to say??

Damn. I was hoping to blame my crappy Crysis playing on the blue LEDs I had recently installed. :D

i remember in science class two kids where directly staring into red lasers. they said they could see shapes and stuff i couldnt stop laughing. another kid drank a coke that we dissolved teeth in and remarked that it tasted flat. Really if you stare into the blue led really close for long period of time im sure it cant be good for you but doesnt everything have blue leds? just sue antec if anything goes wrong (my cases have like 40 blue led's built in!)

Back