Blu Ray Whoas

Does anyone else have as much issues with getting blu rays to play as I do? I was stoked about watching The Day the Earth Stood Still on blu ray, but Cyberlink Power DVD7 Ultra required an update first. Keep in mind I got tDtESS on release day, and I still haven't gotten it functioning since the update. PowerDVD keeps giving me errors or just crashing for ANY blu ray I put in.

I am going to keep hunting down and updating drivers, but I am pretty sure everything is up-to-date.

Is there better Blu Ray/HD DVD software for my rig?

Core i7 920
2x HD3870 in crossfire
MSI X58 Platinum mobo
4GB - Patriot 1333 DDR3
Auzuntech Mystique sound card
LG H20L Blu Ray/HD DVD player
Vista Business x64

PowerDVD is the most bloated shit I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with. Just launching the program takes like two minutes to initialize and activate the buttons.

VLC is as lightweight as they come, and it's free.

maybe your drive needs a firmware update.

When I first got my BR drive it wouldn't play anything at all. I don't think program were crashing but power DVD 7 ultra would just say there is no disc.

When to lite-on's site and downloaded a firmware update, installed it, restarted and discs starting playing right away.

I didn't even bother installing the playback software when I got my Blu Ray drive, I just use a program called MakeMKV to rip the movies to my file server.

MakeMKV is awesome, but it's in beta. It seems to have ripped my Stargate BD fine, but it's a little spotty with DVDs, and it doesn't do much with HD-DVDs yet.

I think you need a newer version of Power DVD, if you don't want to switch to another player. I'm using v8, and it works fine.

powerdvd is horrible and bloated like some one commented further up.... the only thing useful it has is the picture and picture feature that no one even uses.. try arcsoft Totalmedia theatre..

you will like it a ton more then powerdvd.. has correctly working hardware accel with all movies.. unlike powerdvd.. and it still supports HD-DVD's unlike powerDVD which you have to down grade to run them.. and also with play blurays straight from the HDD, if you do backups of your movies..

and i swear if i ever see some one recommend VLC for bluray again.. im going to come through this monitor and slap you.. vlc is garbage and only exists for noobs that have no clue what codecs are and cant figure out how to install them even if they did know..

MPC W/ ffdshow or MPC-HC(for the lazy people) are the only good media players on winblows..

Personally I am a big VLC fan, but IT DOESNT PLAY BLU RAY/ HD DVD!! I have been looking at Total Media Theater.... seems kind of expensive, but if it works then it would be worth it. I can't do Power DVD 8 because it doesn't support HD DVD, and its not like I can take my HD DVD's and sell them to any local video stores.

powerdvd is horrible and bloated like some one commented further up.... the only thing useful it has is the picture and picture feature that no one even uses.. try arcsoft Totalmedia theatre..

you will like it a ton more then powerdvd.. has correctly working hardware accel with all movies.. unlike powerdvd.. and it still supports HD-DVD's unlike powerDVD which you have to down grade to run them.. and also with play blurays straight from the HDD, if you do backups of your movies..

and i swear if i ever see some one recommend VLC for bluray again.. im going to come through this monitor and slap you.. vlc is garbage and only exists for noobs that have no clue what codecs are and cant figure out how to install them even if they did know..

MPC W/ ffdshow or MPC-HC(for the lazy people) are the only good media players on winblows..

:rolleyes: stand alone VLC > installing 1000 shitty codecs (IMO of course)

Does anyone else have an ATI card? I am thinking this is part of the problem with Power DVD. I want to buy Total Media Theatre, but I am afraid it is just going to end up being the same story as powerdvd with blu ray's crappin out. Anyone have a similar system that can vouch?

BD's seem to run ok on my rig (nvidia card, vista 64) but haven't tried it in a few months. I was using PowerDVD, which came with my drive but like I said, I haven't tried playing a movie anytime recently.

I thought media center (for vista) was supposed to support the format natively?

I have had a few issues with PowerDVD. I started with version 7 that was a freebie, and it worked fine after a few updates. Then I had like 3 discs in a row not play. So I upgraded to PowerDVD9, everything has been fine since then.

While PowerDvD is bloated etc...I don't mind as I only run it when watching movies and I am not multitasking. Also, with the cheap HDDs, who cares if it is 500mb or even a gig.

All this crap reminds me of when DVD movies hit PCs nearly a decade ago. Constant fighting with software/drivers/firmware till you could settle on an acceptable compromise.

Nice to see technology progressing...

PowerDVD has always been the most feature rich, but bloated and slowest player out there. Some things never change it seems.

Personally I've always stuck with media player classic and the latest ffdshow. It's a bit of a fiddle, but if you have the time to get it all setup, it's worth it.

Back