Blu-ray Player Holiday Price Cuts?

I remember reading on here not so long ago that people wouldn't buy a BR player till they got to the 150-200 price...:p
Now that they have come down in price, people now say they won't buy them till their in the 50-100 price range which won't happen anytime soon, and which Toshiba took huge losses on when they sold their HD-DVD at that price.
Can't please everyone i guess..
As for BR disks, except for one popular new release i got at walmart for 30 dollars, i have paid on average 20-25 which is on par with the dvd sets except for the no-frill version which is usually 15 or so. If you want extras, you will pay 20+ for it i'm afraid.

In my opinion, before buying a blu-ray player you need to consider a few other things. If anyone is holding back because of the cost for a new BR player they shouldn't even consider buying one. Who cares if it is $99 or $199? The point is that the movies themselves cost $17 to $28 unless you do online renting or Blockbuster. You are going to spend a lot more money on the movies and quickly. I would not upgrade unless you have the money to start a collection of movies. It's very expensive. I would also like to point out the deal going on at Amazon.com one more time, 4 movies and a good BR player for $180.

heh, some people don't get that even film back from the 1940's is capable of producing a great high definition picture when transferred properly to HDDVD/Blu-ray. (assuming the film was kept in good condition and was shot properly from the beginning)

I'll take film sources over digital sources any day of the week when it comes to movies in HD. Most of the digitally shot movies are ruined today because of the surreal picture they try to produce in terms of smoothness and faux grain additions.

if converted properly... ive seen a few BR movies that literally look like they just burned the DVD onto a BR disk and called it a day...

that being said, the new 007 movies on BR look awesome most of the time (im talking the old 60's movies) but for some reason during the transitions it looks bad (sweeps, fades) then when your back to normal movie, it looks fine again? werid...

still have no interest in a standalone player tho, my PC does just fine :)

Heh, like the "28 Weeks Later" Blu-ray that was shot on standard def MiniDV, then put out on Blu-ray? :p

A lot of the bad film transfers are due to deteriorated quality of film due to improper storage.

if converted properly... ive seen a few BR movies that literally look like they just burned the DVD onto a BR disk and called it a day...

that being said, the new 007 movies on BR look awesome most of the time (im talking the old 60's movies) but for some reason during the transitions it looks bad (sweeps, fades) then when your back to normal movie, it looks fine again? werid...

still have no interest in a standalone player tho, my PC does just fine :)

how do you go about outputting BR from your PC to your HDTV?

heh, some people don't get that even film back from the 1940's is capable of producing a great high definition picture when transferred properly to HDDVD/Blu-ray. (assuming the film was kept in good condition and was shot properly from the beginning)

Exactly what I was chuckling about.

Film still has not been surpassed by digital, yet.

Back