Blu Ray playback help please

I have just installed my older DH 401s blu ray drive from Lite On. It will play CD's and DVD's fine on Win 7. It will NOT play Blu Ray's though. No disc that I have.
Specs are
Intel g6950 cpu
AMD HD5450 gpu
4GB ram
WD 640 GB hdd
Win 7 64 bit.
Power DVD was installed right away on fresh install and updated.

Here is the error log if it helps;

Check Item BD Ready? Info
CPU : Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G6950 @ 2.80GHz Unknown More Info
__dwItemID=1001__ : szLibCPUName = Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G6950 @
__dwItemID=1002__ : dwLibClockRate = 2800
__dwItemID=1003__ : dwLibFamily = 6, dwLibModel=37, dwLibStepping=2
__dwItemID=1004__ : dwLibNumPhysicalProc = 2, dwLibNumCorePerPackage=8, dwLibNumLogicalPerCore=0
__dwItemID=1005__ : dwLibCorePerPackage = 8, dwLibTotalLogicals=16
__dwItemID=1006__ : szWMIName=Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G6950 @ 2.80GHz
__dwItemID=1007__ : szWMIManufacturer=GenuineIntel
__dwItemID=1008__ : dwWMIMaxClockSpeed=2799
__dwItemID=1009__ : bBatteryExist=0
__dwItemID=1010__ : szGuess=
GPU (Hardware acceleration) : ATI Radeon HD 5450 Unknown More Info
System Memory : 4032 MB Yes
Operating System : Windows 7 Yes
Operating System : Windows 7 Yes
Graphics Card : ATI Radeon HD 5450 Yes
__dwItemID=1301__ : Adapter Compatibility: ATI Technologies Inc.
__dwItemID=1302__ : VideoProcessor: ATI display adapter (0x68F9)
Graphics card video memory : 512 MB
Graphics Card Driver : 8.831.2.0 Yes
__dwItemID=1501__ : 2D Driver=8.831.2.0
__dwItemID=1502__ : COPP=Yes
__dwItemID=1503__ : RGBOverlay=Yes
__dwItemID=1504__ : DEVICE=N/A
__dwItemID=1601__ : Driver 0:
__dwItemID=1602__ : [D:] ATAPI BD O DH4O1S
__dwItemID=1603__ : eHCMDrvType=0x00046fc7
__dwItemID=1604__ : CDRom=1 DVDRom=1 BDRom=1 HDDVDRom=0
Blu-ray Disc Drive : [D:] ATAPI BD O DH4O1S Yes
Disc Drive : [D:] ATAPI BD O DH4O1S Yes
Software Player : PowerDVD 7.3.5711.0 Yes
Video Connection Type : Digital(with HDCP) Yes
Player Capability for Bonus View : Yes Yes
Player Capability for BD Live : Yes Yes
Hardware Dual-Video Decoding Capability for H.264 : 1080p+480i Upgrade More Info
Hardware Dual-Video Decoding Capability for MPEG-2 : 1080p+480i Upgrade More Info
Hardware Dual-Video Decoding Capability for VC-1 : 1080p+480i Upgrade More Info
Network Capability : Yes Yes
Program version : 2.0.3631.0
System language : 0409 ENU English English
Time : Wed Mar 30 14:17:56 2011
Computer : Desktop
System Name : HTPC

Any ideas why it won't play?
The codecs could be a hint......?

Do you get any errors when you click play?
How are you connected to the monitor is HDMI to monitor? DVI to monitor? Is your monitor HDCP compatible?

You can try a trial version of Total Media Theater 5, it allows blu-ray playback. http://www.arcsoft.com/estore/software_title.asp?ProductCode=TMT5P#submenu If this works than something must be wrong with PowerDVD.

Is the PowerDVD the Ultra version or the OEM from the Lite-on?

Also, not sure if I can mention this one but MakeMKV allows the c*pying of blu-ray movies to your hard drive as an MKV format. If you can copy the blu-ray we can eliminate that something is wrong with the Lite-On.

I am just thinking of all the angles that might cause this failure...and the way I try to figure out is to isolate the problem.

Oh has the blu-ray player work for your prior to this installation?

Last edited:
Lots of good ideas.
I tried TMT and it said the same thing. The card is HDMI to the HDCP passable receiver and to the TV.
I also have a BD player from Sony right next to it also passing through the receiver.
It is the PowerDVD oem software, but immediately updated to the most recent.
The player worked fine on my main machine which was used 5 days ago for a playback.
Is making an MKV, very high quality hard to do?

The MakeMKV is a trial period for the blu-ray copying. It just reads the blu-ray and it will ask what you want to copy, such as you can keep the HD audio or just pick the 5.1 dolby digital, language, etc. So the files are 20 to 50 gig size. But you are using Win 7 x64 so the file size should be no problem, you would need a MKV player to play it though. I use Media Player Classic HD to play mkv files. Of course like dvd copiers it "bypasses" the security feature of the blu-ray. More info on this can be read here http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/02/02/guide-setting-up-bitstreaming-with-your-windows-7-htpc-part-i/ without the MakeMKV part.

I am just checking to see if the MakeMKV can actually read the blu-ray movie and copy it. If it can, than we can eliminate the Lite-On as the problem The MakeMKV program works on DVDs also. But you also mention that it worked previously so.

Try Total Media Theater 5 trial too.

You are not running another video card are you? I had this problem when I installed an ATI card and a Nvida card for PhysX. All my blu-ray software players would immediately just crash when I tried to play a blu-ray movie.

Are you using Windows video drivers or AMD video drivers?

I am going to try TMT again. Maybe something different will happen. :)

I am not using a second card at all. Just the AMD 5450. Now, I know the processor has the Intel embedded graphics to it, but the board does not have any VGA or DVI headers. Something to look for in the BIOS I guess.

I installed the Cat 11.3 over the Windows drivers.

try it straight up to the tv maybe the receiver is having problems passing the signal so that it knows hdcp is working.

Okay, good luck fasterthanlight.

I think it's the software not being compatible with Win 7 x64 but I can't figure it out why. Your hardware sounds like it meets the HDCP threshold so can't be that.

Hopefully TMT works.

No dice. TMT is also "no disc in drive"
My Computer shows the drive as BD-ROM. But you can't explore the disc. If Windows won't see it, the other programs won't either. I also installed the trial for AnyDVD HD to see if it would pass the HDCP issue if it was there, but it also will not see the disc. It says no disc in drive. DVD version of all my movies will play fine in MC, WMP, and TMT.
Does the drive itself need certain drivers? I don't think I had to find them in the past.

Does everything show pass in this basic tab and advanced tab?

Not to sure why mine says not hdcp compliant. Pretty sure the 3008wfp has hdcp (maybe its because I am using displayport) Edit: figured my monitor out, hdcp is only up to 1080p on it.

Edit: judgeing by the log file it has to do with the video card/drivers, my log file said yes next to video card. Yours just says unknown and more info, mine only put more info by the fails.
It says upgrade by the codecs also but I bet thats just because they want you to buy the newest version.

Last edited:
The result you got, I also did get.
The HD5450 and the g6950 CPU were unkown. I emailed CyberLink for clarification. On their FAQ, it says that the card was not known when the software build was done, so it defaults to unknown.
I am waiting back for an official response from them.

Your 6800 comes up and is a gen after my card. I also like how it says FAIL at the toop, maybe just to make you feel ashamed.

The result you got, I also did get.

You got the exact same fails? Mine is for my screen, and not having a blu-ray player/software. If yours is the same then something else is up, try reinstalling the software (but dont update and see if it works) and try it directly into the tv.

No No, I only meant that I did get the same type of report, but exported it to the log file. My report is different.

One more thing. I see it says BD rom under My Computer but it has dvd\cd drive listed under device manager type and it has the MS drivers for it.

No No, I only meant that I did get the same type of report, but exported it to the log file. My report is different.

One more thing. I see it says BD rom under My Computer but it has dvd\cd drive listed under device manager type and it has the MS drivers for it.

Where exactly does it say fail though? bd-rom? player? video card?

I think I found something else. On mine it says pass for the hardware decoding, yours says upgrade and I don't have any software installed so if mine says pass that might be your problem also. Click the more info and it should take you to their site that might give you some more info.

It was just a joke anyway, but above the Basic and Advanced is where I was referring to.

Here is my SS

Untitled.jpg

That is what I was hinting at before too. The codecs are in "update". Purely the fact that Windows can't see the disc, not even PD, TMT, or ANYDVD, means that I may need a codec package or additional decoders?

Weird that they can't see the disk is there a driver for the drive from the manufacturer?

Have you tried to put the drive back in the old pc maybe you damaged the blu-ray laser transferring it. This is doubtful but possible. You could also try uninstalling the default ms driver and let it reinstall again maybe it botched it the first time.

I've thought about it. I just upgraded to an OCZ PCIe SSD, and I am burned out on fixing PC parts and installing everything.
I know what you suggested is probably the right next move.

I was thinking back about it. The ATI 5450 is a vid card with HDMI that will playback True HD and Lossless PCM. This is designed for BD. Even though it won't pass the adviser, the card should be good to go. I also installed the 11.2 Cat's for comparison since it was a new build with the 11.3's just being out. No go either.

The 2p53 indicator on the drive is the firmware version right?

dh401s 2p53

Last edited:
I have now reinstalled PowerDVD and updated the firmware. It was the DVD Ram drive type. I updated the firmware and still won't read from the drive. I have some HD rips that I can play with TMT from a file location, but now it says unknown disc and when I play it from the optical drive, it says please put in a correct format disc to view.

So this, to me, says the Proc and the GPU are not problem, it is the drive that seems to not be working.

Well, here we are again.
I installed the blu ray drive back to the original PC and gave it a fresh Win 7. Guess what. DVD and CD type work, BD does not. I installed TMT again and still will not see a disc in the drive. I have to bet that somehow JUST that part has died.

Oh well. To Newegg once again for a $50 replacement.

Well, here we are again.
I installed the blu ray drive back to the original PC and gave it a fresh Win 7. Guess what. DVD and CD type work, BD does not. I installed TMT again and still will not see a disc in the drive. I have to bet that somehow JUST that part has died.

Oh well. To Newegg once again for a $50 replacement.

The blu-ray laser is a separate laser I believe (or do they have combined lasers now?) so it is possible that it could be bad and the other laser fine.

You can use whatever software you want -- you don't have to install what comes with the drive. In fact, since you bought an OEM model, there's a good chance you won't even get software even if it says it comes with some -- thats the nature of OEM drives... sometimes you get software, sometimes you don't.

Back