Blu-ray or HD-DVD? Which will be your next format?

Blu-ray or HD-DVD? Which will be your next hd format?

• Blu-ray

Votes: 26 56.5%
  • HD-DVD

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters

Dutt1113

[H]ard|Gawd
I was wondering once blu-ray and hd-dvd hardware like players, burners for computers, etc start going down in price, which format people will be going with and why?

Until media prices come way down, or a must-have app comes out solely in one format and not multiple DVDs, I wouldn't pick either. A hybrid drive if one has to get anything at all, but, right now none of the new formats are compelling on the PC

Whoever is left standing next year. Alienware has bluRay drives in their top of the line pc's.

If I had to buy right now? Blu-ray, more films available and more studios backing it (exclusively). Also Blu-ray is certain to be around in one form or another since PS3 games will use it, HD-DVD on the other hand has a risk of becoming really marginalized.

When a burner is available for $200-250 then I'm buying.

Yeah when it comes down to 250 i'll get one. I want bluray cause I want the ability to take 200 dvd's worth of data to 32 BR disc's. Thats alot of time I won't have to waste searching hundreds of disc. Also actual space saved by only having one disc case.

No option for both?

I'm getting both formats. I'm just waiting for HD-DVD computer drives to hit consumer shelves so I can pick er up.

In terms of looking at backing up data, I'd go for Blu-Ray. Though I'd like the blanks to get down to something like $2/disc before jumping in.

Already owned 4 Blu-Ray discs, 2 movies and 2 games, all of this because of the PS3.

Already jumped on HDDVD with the Xbox360 HDDVD drive for $160 at Circuit City (with coupon). Its hooked up to my PC, and I couldn't be happier. I have the Matrix trilogy on pre-order right now. ^_^

But, I'm waiting for a combo drive to put in the next HTPC. If there isn't one by mid-summer, I'll go with HDDVD. I like the film transfer quality better on HDDVD than most grainy Blu-ray movies I've watched. They are getting better though in the Blu-ray camp.

As I see it, neither format offers better quality video, because anything past 25mbps in 1080p on either HDDVD or Blu-ray, the image quality is nearly identical as long as the source is good. When they release the same movie on both HDDVD and Blu-ray, there is no difference except file structure on the disk.

Im waiting for a HD-DVD drive, since Blue Ray offers more space I figure once they hit the shelves HD-DVD will be down in price to compete with BR. Ill only buy if the price is around $100.

i already have a blu-ray drive, nice but a little slow, should´ve gotten a tape backup :p

I'm leaning toward Blu-ray mostly because of massive storage capabilities and hopefully the prices will go down.

I just bought a blu-ray drive for my main rig. I figured that when it comes cheaper and faster versions are availible, I will take this one and move it to the HTPC and buy my rig the faster one and the HTPC one will just be a player.

Now it's time for HDDVD drives to come out so I can toss it in my HTPC and Main rig too.

Since I have no compelling reason to use either format I will just wait for one to kill the other.

TWO FORMATS ENTER, ONE FORMAT LEAVES!

:D

Whichever gets more completely cracked. I want non-DRM media so I can copy it to other devices I own, watch it where I want to instead of where I'm allowed to, and so forth. Thus, I will buy whichever ends up less restrictive.

Whichever gets more completely cracked. I want non-DRM media so I can copy it to other devices I own, watch it where I want to instead of where I'm allowed to, and so forth. Thus, I will buy whichever ends up less restrictive.

That would be HDDVD. It already is completely cracked. We even have hacked firmware for the Xbox360 HDDVD player which will play any HDDVD movie reguardless of how many revoked keys or player releases there are.

For Blu-ray, BD+ still hasn't come into effect yet. ;)

So misinformed.
haha, people like you make me laugh

1) blu-ray has no standards right now. final specs have not even been set yet.
http://www.dvdtown.com/news/dontgettheblues-saynotoblu-ray/4407

Recent comments from the Blu-ray camp indicate that they have yet to complete final specifications for the interactive component called Blu-ray Disc JAVA (BD JAVA). What this means is that when the specifications are finally decided upon in late October, 2007, one's Blu-ray player bought before that date may not play parts of future Blu-ray releases. Imagine the confusion in a store trying to figure out if one's machine will play a specific extra.

2) lack of standard causes certain movies, from certain studios to be released encoded with inferior mpeg 2 codec.

3) hd-dvd has mandatory Secondary video/audio decoder for PIP

4) mandatory Dolby TrueHD

haha, people like you make me laugh

1) blu-ray has no standards right now. final specs have not even been set yet.
http://www.dvdtown.com/news/dontgettheblues-saynotoblu-ray/4407

2) lack of standard causes certain movies, from certain studios to be released encoded with inferior mpeg 2 codec.

3) hd-dvd has mandatory Secondary video/audio decoder for PIP

4) mandatory Dolby TrueHD

I highly doubt they are going to change the standards so dramatically that you can't read them with existing players... that would be the fatal end for bluray.

People like you make me laugh as you can find just as many problems with HDDVD as you can find with bluray.

For movies I currently have HD DVD. If BR backing studios release some good quality movies I'm interested in perhaps I'll get a BR player. It certainly will not be until their format is mature and their is a player that can do everything right.

For media storage, neither. The prices would have to come way down. You can get 100GB harddrive much cheaper than four 25GB BR discs.

when I get the westy 37w3, I'd think im going to end up with a x360 rather than ps3, so the obvious choice would be the hd-dvd player add on to that. Doubt i'd get an optical HD DVD drive then unless its that much more amazing and the price is right.

Update: With imgburn you can now make an ISO of a HD DVD or Blu-ray movie, then mount it with demontools to watch on your HTPC front end. :eek: :D :)

Update: With imgburn you can now make an ISO of a HD DVD or Blu-ray movie, then mount it with demontools to watch on your HTPC front end. :eek: :D :)

Thats an incredibly large file size for a movie :eek:

Thats an incredibly large file size for a movie :eek:

It's only 30 or 50 GB, max :p I do prefer the DVD-5 sized x264 rips, though; that's what I'm currently considering as a storage format for when I move to high-def. I really don't like dealing with physical disks, so it'd be a pain to go from nice convenient DVD-5 ISO images to having to tote around physical disks again just because they're high-def. So 720p x264 is good enough and convenient enough for me.

Not an incredible deal, thats still around $199 to 299 per player out of consumer pockets. And is an off brand and perhaps cheap player. Also another thing is that it's not a writer. I wonder when HD-DVD will start coming out with writing capable drives.

Nonetheless, this is good news for us consumers, bad news for people like me who just dropped $550 on a drive :) Other hand, by the time those 2,000,000 players hits the shelves, I will already have enjoyed my drive countless of hours.

Sony has to start cutting their royalties of their hardware and take dump on prices, this isn't like the PS3 that can be expensive... this is a matter of tipping the scales and death to the other format.

HD-DVD.

Mostly because I hate sony with a passion.

and does anyone know if you can buy HD-DVD burners yet for the computer? wtf is taking so long...?

and does anyone know if you can buy HD-DVD burners yet for the computer? wtf is taking so long...?
Dunno.. I'm guessing they'll be out sometime this summer.. hopefully.

If you are itching for one that bad, just get a Blu-ray burner. You can burn a HDDVD to a Blu-ray disk, and it will playback in a HDDVD-ROM or standalone HDDVD player. (you must keep the hddvd file structure for it to work) Confirmed this works by people on HDbits.

Blu-Ray is coming out on top, and rightfully so. The ONLY reason someone would want an HD-DVD is becuase it's cheaper to produce, but the bottom line is BOTH are expensive, and whichever one comes out on top will BOTH drop to the same price in the long run, as standard DVDs are now.

Besides, you got a better selection with Blu-Ray as it offers more studio support. Universal is the only studio exclusively catering to HD-DVD.

All I know I s reg. DVD is not appealing to watch anymore. if either format wants to win its as simple as releasing a lo-buck player in walmart.so every one can get thier paws on one.Its not up to sony or universal , its the walmart gods.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=540874

I wonder if this has anything to say about the whole situation.

Back