What's up all? Not too long ago I bought a brand spanking new Gateway FX 6831 desktop (win 7 64 bit) with both a dvd-r drive and a separate blu ray player drive. Soon after I tried out both to make sure they would work as advertised and they did, no problems. I've actually been VERY pleased with the system. Then just yesterday I put a blu ray into the drive to watch it and low and behold, not only will it not read the disc, it totally locks up the drive and then it disappears from My Computer altogether like it's never been installed. The only way to get it back is to shut down the system and turn it back on. A reset even doesn't help.
Now it won't read anything. Blu Ray or DVD. My other ATAPI DVD-R drive remains totally fine (thank goodness). At first I thought it was my software but I changed from Power DVD to WinDVD 10 and there wasn't a difference. Is my drive toast?
It's an ATAPI 403s drive I'm pretty sure is manufactured by Liteon, but there is no reference or firmware on their site. I've tried re-jiggering the cables inside, but they were all firmly in place anyhow. I also uninstalled and then reinstalled the drive, nadda. Tried new software, no go, uninstalled other multimedia software, no go. Think I got a whacked drive? I'm probably just outta warranty too and I don't want to have to spend another $100 - $250 for a new drive.
Anyone got anything? And if it is a messed drive, what should I get to replace it?
I have to head off to work, but thanks in advance to everyone.
Now it won't read anything. Blu Ray or DVD. My other ATAPI DVD-R drive remains totally fine (thank goodness). At first I thought it was my software but I changed from Power DVD to WinDVD 10 and there wasn't a difference. Is my drive toast?
It's an ATAPI 403s drive I'm pretty sure is manufactured by Liteon, but there is no reference or firmware on their site. I've tried re-jiggering the cables inside, but they were all firmly in place anyhow. I also uninstalled and then reinstalled the drive, nadda. Tried new software, no go, uninstalled other multimedia software, no go. Think I got a whacked drive? I'm probably just outta warranty too and I don't want to have to spend another $100 - $250 for a new drive.
Anyone got anything? And if it is a messed drive, what should I get to replace it?
I have to head off to work, but thanks in advance to everyone.