Blu-ray Dominates Christmas Sales in UK

HardOCP News

[H] News
Blu-ray sales in the UK are up 400% this holiday season compared to the previous year. Now, before you go giving all the credit to record sales of The Dark Knight, it seems people are also buying non-special effects driven movies on Blu-ray too. Sales figures for the U.S have not been released yet.

Across the whole holiday season 3.7 million Blu-ray units were sold in Britain, and that doesn't include sales of Sony's Playstation 3 console, which also plays Blu-ray movies. A large contributing factor to the rise in Blu-ray sales was the release of the movies The Dark Knight and Mama Mia on Blu-ray. The Dark Knight sold almost 300,000 copies in its first few weeks, becoming the fastest selling Blu-ray title to date. Mama Mia was no slouch either selling 5.1 million copies by year-end.

I bought Dark Knight too yay and Mamma Mi... er I mean just Dark Knight yay

While technically true, HD isn't required for drama/comedy/non-special effects movies. People will still buy the Blu-ray version if they have a player period.

While technically true, HD isn't required for drama/comedy/non-special effects movies. People will still buy the Blu-ray version if they have a player period.

I tend to only buy stuff like Iron Man, The Dark Knight, Incredible Hulk, Wall-E and so on on Blu-ray. All the standard stuff with no special-FX can wait until they are $9.99.

;)

In hindsight, DVDs were overpriced, BluRay, even more so.

For a good movie, in HD, without DRM, I'd pay $10 (or less) when it's a new release.

If I have to download it instead of physical media then $5 (as long as there's no DRM)

WITH DRM I'd pay $2 as long as it doesn't expire, if it expires, then $1.

HD not required for drama?!?

Are you telling me you don't want to see nipples and camel toe in HD???

Why isn't it "required"? One of my favorite shows is the office. Can't stand watching it in non HD anymore.

I tend to only buy stuff like Iron Man, The Dark Knight, Incredible Hulk, Wall-E and so on on Blu-ray. All the standard stuff with no special-FX can wait until they are $9.99.

;)

I agree, standard stuff is bought on reg dvd

Yep, the other stuff will have to wait. You're basically just paying an unnecessary premium.

once you guy HD you can't go back, even for the "standard stuff".

Like I said, at $24.99 - $29.99 for new "standard stuff" in the store...no thanks.

Went to Best Buy:

The Dark Knight - $29.99 (bad enough). I had a $10 reward zone coupon...easy choice...bought it at $19.99.

Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay - $34.99 ...No way, who is smoking crack now? ;)

Soon enough all the standard stuff will be bargain basement, then I'll bite. I buy the stuff I have to have on BR in the mean time.

Like I said, at $24.99 - $29.99 for new "standard stuff" in the store...no thanks.

Went to Best Buy:

The Dark Knight - $29.99 (bad enough). I had a $10 reward zone coupon...easy choice...bought it at $19.99.

Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay - $34.99 ...No way, who is smoking crack now? ;)

Soon enough all the standard stuff will be bargain basement, then I'll bite. I buy the stuff I have to have on BR in the mean time.

I agree, if a movie like ermm mama mia is around $20-$30 I would definately wait till its around $10-$15 and Movies like the Dark Knight I go to Walmart or something where new releases are $25. Though I believe non-special effect documentaries like Planet Earth are definately worth the $80 I spent on it. Though I felt like crap 1 month after I buy it on black friday it goes down to $37.

this is terrible news... every victory for blueray is a huge loss as it represents a blow to the roll out of online digital distribution.

makes me a sad panda :(

this is terrible news... every victory for blueray is a huge loss as it represents a blow to the roll out of online digital distribution.

The only thing IMHO thats stopping online distribution is our crappy infrastructure wtf is up with the 50-60 dollar a month 6mbps connection where more than half of the developed countries have 20+ mbps for all of less than 30? To dl hidef uncompressed would take upwards of 1 1/2hrs for me which would annoy me if I would Have to wait that long to watch a damn movie.

In hindsight, DVDs were overpriced, BluRay, even more so.

For a good movie, in HD, without DRM, I'd pay $10 (or less) when it's a new release.

If I have to download it instead of physical media then $5 (as long as there's no DRM)

WITH DRM I'd pay $2 as long as it doesn't expire, if it expires, then $1.

I wouldn't pay a penny for it if it were to expire. That's what the content holders want: a permanent rental system. I don't have to replace my DVD's unless I want to.

Wonderful news. I do not welcome the permanent rental society.

Went to Best Buy

I think I found your problem. Come on, what at Best Buy ISNT over priced?

All [H] should be buying online, cheaper and more [H] than Best Buy. Not that being harder than BB is hard, I think your average local computer shop is more [H] than Best Buy. BB is reserved for those that know very little and have no clue that that Nvidia 6200 LE they are buying for 90 bucks is a rip-off

I think I found your problem. Come on, what at Best Buy ISNT over priced?

All [H] should be buying online, cheaper and more [H] than Best Buy. Not that being harder than BB is hard, I think your average local computer shop is more [H] than Best Buy. BB is reserved for those that know very little and have no clue that that Nvidia 6200 LE they are buying for 90 bucks is a rip-off

If you think that is a rip off walk into your local Best Buy. They are still selling Standard Definition TV's for around $300.00 a pop. DVD players for over a $100.00.

I could create a giant list of things they sell that are overpriced but anyone that has gone into the improperly named Best Buy has seen the same things I have.

What the person above mentioned is probably the only reason Best Buy is still in business, uniformed shoppers that know very little about tech products. I.E. Gramps buying stuff for their grandkids. (not saying all elders are un-techy)

If you think that is a rip off walk into your local Best Buy. They are still selling Standard Definition TV's for around $300.00 a pop. DVD players for over a $100.00.

I could create a giant list of things they sell that are overpriced but anyone that has gone into the improperly named Best Buy has seen the same things I have.

What the person above mentioned is probably the only reason Best Buy is still in business, uniformed shoppers that know very little about tech products. I.E. Gramps buying stuff for their grandkids. (not saying all elders are un-techy)
Most of the population is "uninformed" about the modern electronics and Best Buy adds a value service by finding the solutions for the customers. I work at BB and most of the people who shop there are technologically retarded. Another sad thing is that often I can get things online cheaper than what BB has to pay for them.

You mean good movies give people a reason to consider using Blu-Ray to watch it?

Next thing you'll tell me good games help sell consoles. That's a good one.

I noticed an interesting, but sneaky, thing this holiday season locally.

Just before the holiday, the price for new releases on standard dvds increased by $5 which put their price only $5 less then Bluray versions. Then AFTER the holidays the Bluray versions of the new releases went up $5 which put the price difference right back where it had been up until two months before.

That's right up there with raising prices 15% a month before a 10% off sale.

I have a hard time spending a matinee price for a movie at what... $6? or whatever the fuck expensive shit it is.... I got some free movie passes on xmas... FREE and I want to make sure the movie I see is worth it... with this mindset how the fuck can I be expected to spend $25-30 for a fucking movie? It's like a roll back to the VHS days when movies cost that much and rental stores became the in thing.

Wow,

Sales last year 10
Sales this year 40

Now that's a 400% increase, what can I say sales must be booming.

Now for comparison we need to see the sales against current DVD sales and not just a percentage growth figure.

Remember, a 400% growth from 0 is still 0.

Back