Blu-ray discs, do we really need that much space?

Flight simulator X plus acceleration expansion pack = 17.7Gb of hard drive space.

Not sure if its been mentioned but a 360 with a bluray drive built in was announced recently.

It doesn't matter. Developers can't make blu-ray games because the vast majority of the user base only has a DVD version. Unless they offer both versions would likely create significant extra costs, consumer confusion, and way more retail sku's (retailers hate this) even if they are already developing for PS3 as well. The only thing this would be good for is as a media player (which would be quite nice really).

I just think of future RPG's with that much space. You could pretty much put the whole Earth on there with a great story and a LONG ass game. It has potential. Whether or not the devs put it to good use is another story...

I know...look at Oblivion...see how long and big that is...now, imagine that times 10.

Only on Ps3 baby!!!!

The more storage the better. Thats like asking why buy a 500gb HDD if you only have a 100gb....the more the merrier.

can i ask one thing about you guys and you love for disks.

why dont you want a push for a move away from disks all together and on to flash drives. all this wonderful space you talk about on a spinning disk is just going to take longer and longer to read the media.

imo screw disks lets move on to something better all together.

why dont you want a push for a move away from disks all together and on to flash drives. all this wonderful space you talk about on a spinning disk is just going to take longer and longer to read the media.

How do you suggest we get this media on to our hard drives?
With the way downloads are being currently, that option is gone until speeds increase.

I work for a FAB that creates flash. The time it takes to create an "empty" disc and the cost for that empty disc, are no where even close to what it costs to make a flash chip. From the front end of the line, to the back end of the line, to testing and visual inspect and many different stages, to shipping that wafer with chips on it to someone that actually assembles that chip... lets just say it can take over a month ... I'm sure your CD, DVD's, BR discs take fractions of the time and costs to manufacture.

what i was saying is having the game come on chip or card like the turbografx did. i mean if they can put the same capacity on a card or chip, that would be so much better. i am gettng tired of all the different disks i guess. so much space just to store all the various different frisbees i have in my house.

sorry to the op i just had to say it. but to answer your question i dont think we need 50gb. i mean who can tell if audio is compressed or not when you playing game?

^^ Its still not official. Ms has announced their support of blu-ray, but nothing about the add-on.

you think they will have support for games, or just movies?.

is it fair for everyone who owns a 360, has to buy a bluray drive if it does support bray games?.

i wish consoles still used cartridges, thats what made a console different than a pc.

you think they will have support for games, or just movies?.

is it fair for everyone who owns a 360, has to buy a bluray drive if it does support bray games?.

i wish consoles still used cartridges, thats what made a console different than a pc.

No its not fair, thats why it wont happen. If they make a drive it will purely for movies.I really dont think MS will want to piss off the 17mil+ people who already bought their product. I hated cartridges, i remember the n64 nintendo genesis and the snes days, they gets dirty fast and it had limited storage back then. I like it just the way it is now, i want change but not at my pockets expense.

Flash is way too expensive. It will cost more for the consumer just as cartridges did. That's why most nintendo 64 games cost more that Playstation games. The big blockbuster 64 games that require even more memory than usual were especially expensive.

Optical media is just way more practical right now and cheaper. Its also likely a bit better for the environment and recycling to have millions of plastic discs rather than millions of whatever is in a flash cart.

i think it's a bit unrealistic for anyone to assume their techno-gadget is going to keep up to date without costing money. i think that right now the consumers' demands on their gaming machines are much higher than when the previous generation of consoles were released. i think until htpc and consoles really hit their refined edge, or when consumers finally decide on what they want and what they expect, buying anything will be risky.

360 vs ps3, blu-ray vs hd-dvd, wii vs dvd player, rockband vs guitar hero, there are a million new ideas coming out, and we're overwhelmed with choices. it costs us money to be the testers and the first to enjoy them. in the end, one option will beat the other, or they'll merge into something better (hopefully) and it'll be easy for us. in the mean time, the best we can do is our research and see how things end up.

personally, i think it's a good time to be a consumer

well, now isnt the a good time to be a consumer. The economy sucks ATM. It costs 60 fuckin bucks to fill up my truck, thank god it lasts 2 weeks.

Back