Blu-ray 3D Versions of Avatar Selling for $400

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Welcome to this years’ high tech version of Tickle Me Elmo or Beanie Babies. The 3D version of Avatar is only available to purchasers of a new Panasonic 3D TV and to no other 3D manufacturers. We all know the Christmas season drill of supply and demand. Welcome to the Christmas Season. :D

In fact, if you don't own a Panasonic 3D TV, there's no official way for you to get a copy right now. Panasonic was able to nab exclusive rights to the Blu-ray 3D version of the amazing 3D blockbuster, no doubt in exchange for a whole ton of cash

Next summer, IIRC. They just bit themselves in the ass and are begging for people to pirate this. Too much greed is a bad thing, 'mkay? :(

Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures, the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge, has marked the upward surge of mankind and greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the U.S.A.

Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures, the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge, has marked the upward surge of mankind and greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the U.S.A.

But just like Mommy always said, too much of a good thing is a bad thing. I am all for capitalism, but people need to use common sense. The smart thing to do would have been to release Avatar for everyone for $20, $30, heck $50. However, they are screwing themselves since most people will only want the DVD, not the TV. I can't say for certain, but it would not surprise me if they lose more money through piracy than they gain through this deal. That's why their greed is bad in this case.

I found it somewhere else.... not that it matters I don't have a 3D setup.

Its sad that this isn't coming out for everyone until next year because it is easily the best looking 3D bluray out there. The picture is so much sharper than when I saw it in the theater.

I know its fun to jump on the Avatar hate-wagon here, but this isn't new. 3D movies are not for sale anywhere in stores (Amazon and eBay excluded). You can only get 3D movies when you purchase a 3D TV as there aren't enough 3D TVs in households yet to justify trying to sell them separately.

I know its fun to jump on the Avatar hate-wagon here, but this isn't new. 3D movies are not for sale anywhere in stores (Amazon and eBay excluded). You can only get 3D movies when you purchase a 3D TV as there aren't enough 3D TVs in households yet to justify trying to sell them separately.

I loved the movie, just think they're not selling it correctly to make their profit and the lives of consumers easier. They can't sell it through their publishers or through a large e-tailer such as Amazon? You would still have price markups, but using one online vendor ought to make the logistics simple for Cameron.

I loved the movie, just think they're not selling it correctly to make their profit and the lives of consumers easier. They can't sell it through their publishers or through a large e-tailer such as Amazon? You would still have price markups, but using one online vendor ought to make the logistics simple for Cameron.

It's not worth it to put on Amazon or store shelves so that the 500 people in the world with 3d TVs can go buy it.

It's not worth it to put on Amazon or store shelves so that the 500 people in the world with 3d TVs can go buy it.

I'm not incredibly familiar with online retailers, but don't they run most of their operations out of warehouses? I don't see why they can't keep a few hundred or thousand copies (making those numbers up) in a warehouse until they are ordered. Would it really be more cost effective to box a separate copy with each TV or Blu-ray player?

I'm not incredibly familiar with online retailers, but don't they run most of their operations out of warehouses? I don't see why they can't keep a few hundred or thousand copies (making those numbers up) in a warehouse until they are ordered. Would it really be more cost effective to box a separate copy with each TV or Blu-ray player?

Maybe they could, i'm just going on what I heard about the other 3dtv + 3d blu-ray bundles.
Cameron still gets bonus points from me for not putting any ads or other crap on the regular blu-ray release.

Maybe they could, i'm just going on what I heard about the other 3dtv + 3d blu-ray bundles.
Cameron still gets bonus points from me for not putting any ads or other crap on the regular blu-ray release.

Alright, thanks.

3D movies are not for sale anywhere in stores (Amazon and eBay excluded). You can only get 3D movies when you purchase a 3D TV as there aren't enough 3D TVs in households yet to justify trying to sell them separately.

This is probably the truth of it. There's such a small market for now, giving it to the actual people who can use it only makes a bit of sense.

I would guess in a few months all the 3d titles will start showing up for sale at Amazon.

Nothing to get excited or upset about here. Move along.

Next summer, IIRC. They just bit themselves in the ass and are begging for people to pirate this. Too much greed is a bad thing, 'mkay? :(

Yeah but what pirates are gonna buy a panasonic tv just to get avatar? besides i'm sure the download size would be massive, at least twice the frames (not sure exactly how the 120hz thing works with regular blueray being 24hz). also i'm not aware of x264 being compatible i'm sure keyframes will be shot to shit.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I have a Samsung 3dTV and i was pissed that after i bought it i can buy almost NO MOVIES beacause of all these fukwads packaging the movies with the sets. Well this really turns people to PIRACY!!!!!! There are places to get these 3d movies on Blu-Ray and thats now the only alternative. Look at these movies i cant Buy unless i buy a new TV or A Set of 3d Glasses. Exclusive movies in 3d, Avatar, Shrek, How to Train your Dragon. Ice Age 3 just to name a few, And more are coming. I really dont get this Strategy, I buy a from Samsung and i got Monsters Vs Aliens in 3D at the time, a month later they pack in How to train your dragon so i call Samsung and the idiot on the phone tells me that its not exclusive and i can buy the movie at Best Buy? What a Jag off. If i would have known this was going to happen i would have not even bothered PHUK ALL 3D Bull#$%^

Any 3d tv packaged with Avatar is reason enough to pass it up. Avatar was one of the worst movies (propaganda, actually) I've ever seen.

Running the 3d movie through your pc wouldn't you need special software to tell the glasses what to do?

I have a Samsung 3dTV and i was pissed that after i bought it i can buy almost NO MOVIES beacause of all these fukwads packaging the movies with the sets. Well this really turns people to PIRACY!!!!!! There are places to get these 3d movies on Blu-Ray and thats now the only alternative. Look at these movies i cant Buy unless i buy a new TV or A Set of 3d Glasses. Exclusive movies in 3d, Avatar, Shrek, How to Train your Dragon. Ice Age 3 just to name a few, And more are coming. I really dont get this Strategy, I buy a from Samsung and i got Monsters Vs Aliens in 3D at the time, a month later they pack in How to train your dragon so i call Samsung and the idiot on the phone tells me that its not exclusive and i can buy the movie at Best Buy? What a Jag off. If i would have known this was going to happen i would have not even bothered PHUK ALL 3D Bull#$%^

Lol it's like you have the demo version you only get to play one level!

Hey fellas wanna come over and watch a movie? it's threeee deeee!

ah fuck man we so don't wanna watch monsters vs aliens again. i've started taking a teddy bear to bed cas i've seen that movie so many times cas you wanna show of your new tele that its turned me fruity!

Any 3d tv packaged with Avatar is reason enough to pass it up. Avatar was one of the worst movies (propaganda, actually) I've ever seen.

Propaganda? what? i suppose the americans didn't slaughter the natives to exploit the land...

Propaganda? what? i suppose the americans didn't slaughter the natives to exploit the land...

It's definitely propaganda, didn't you feel the urge to scream "SAVE THE TREEEEEES" after watching it? :p

It's definitely propaganda, didn't you feel the urge to scream "SAVE THE TREEEEEES" after watching it? :p

less propaganda and more a direct "edgy" ripoff of pocahontas.

remember we don't actually make anything original anymore...

I already think that way. humans have raped the planet. we're as harmful the the environment as a giant fucking meteor hitting the earth. mostly due to our intensive meat production, we've lost all harmony with the planet in the name of convenience and excess.
its not propaganda, its just observation. millions of people lived in the americas for tens of thousands of years yet it was in pristine condition. now its a toxic wasteland.

3D isn't worth the money anyway.

That is why they made an exclusive deal with Panasonic. Only the hardcore buy 3D anyways. Probably made more money from the exclusive deal then they would sales alone.

Its funny people calling these new released Avatar BluRays greed. When in fact they're one of the only companies who have said they were going to do two releases before the first one was even out. If people are to impatient to wait it was there own fault and not greed. Avatar is one of the best BluRays on the market. It has pure movie no trailers or ads.. And 3d/extended were announced before the first one was even out. More companies need to follow this.

The movie emphasised the loss of connection to the earth and its creatures and how that ethos has damaged the earth. it is a sad thing when any life is lost but we're so disconnected that the first time we see most animals its already wrapped in plastic, a neatly packaged product produced in factory. if we only still had that connection with the earth and interacted with these creatures as a whole people wouldn't be anywhere near as excessive as we are today. you'd say only a sociopath could kill their pet puppy but we completely remove ourself from a connection to the very similar in nature agricultural animals. i think if you eat meat then you should have to see them when their alive and watch their life fade often. it'll bestow some respect on you for those lives.

Funny how so many complained about Avatars environmental message, but didn't seem to mind it in LOTR, which clearly has an anti-technology, anti-industrialism message, which is far more extreme than Avatar.

We're designed to feel something when an animal dies. to remove ourself from that process is unnatural.

As for trees. cattle ranching is the no.1 cause of deforestation. not to mention meat production being the no.1 cause of greenhouse emissions, water consumption, water contamination and loss of biodiversity.

And if you're old enough to eat meat, you're old enough to watch it die and none of this 100m away through a scope nonsense, up close and personal. none of this sheltering and lies until they're already disconnected and habitual. "oh but think of the children, that's so graphic and traumatic", yeah it is thinking of the children, they may actually want a habitable planet and clean water to drink when the grow up.

Yeah. Hungry.

To not eat the animal is unnatural.

No. man didn't have the capacity to have a meat heavy diet until the invention of tools, let alone the diet afforded by intensive industrialized farming. that's unnatural.

No. man didn't have the capacity to have a meat heavy diet until the invention of tools, let alone the diet afforded by intensive industrialized farming. that's unnatural.

Well, until we start placing limits on the number of children that can be born, and destroying any that exceed that number, we're going to need industry to provide food for all these people. Especially all those people that save the environment by living in an area where they don't need a car, thus requiring huge farms outside of the city to truck food in to feed them.

It is natural. look at india plenty of vegos there and the planet could support >20 billion people with their diet versus the 2 billion people with the united states diet. the planet already has 7 billion, making the american lifestyle unsustainable.

Well, until we start placing limits on the number of children that can be born, and destroying any that exceed that number, we're going to need industry to provide food for all these people. Especially all those people that save the environment by living in an area where they don't need a car, thus requiring huge farms outside of the city to truck food in to feed them.

Totally untrue again look at india, industrialized meat production is a fraction of the united states but they feed far far more people per hectare of land. meat takes 10x the land, 20-500x the water for the same energy we could receive from crops.

It is natural. look at india plenty of vegos there and the planet could support >20 billion people with their diet versus the 2 billion people with the united states diet. the planet already has 7 billion, making the american lifestyle unsustainable.

Yes, look at India, with their lack of any type of environmental or labor laws. We could produce a lot more food in the US if the environmentalists would allow us to use the same pesticides that are used in India.

Getting back on topic, why exactly can't this work on any PS3 attached to any modern TV that supports the following HDMI 1.4a spec

1.Frame Packing 1080p/24Hz
2.Frame Packing 720p/60Hz
3.Side-by-Side 1080i/60Hz
4.Top-Bottom 1080p/24Hz
5.Top-Bottom 720p/60Hz
6.Side-by-Side 1080p/60Hz
7.Side-by-Side 1080p/24Hz
8.Side-by-Side 1080p/30Hz
9.Side-by-Side 720p/60Hz
10.Checkerboard 1080p/60Hz

I could understand if these "other" TV's can't support this movie, but I can't for the life of me think why they would pass up on the holiday season especially now when it may be the one time of the year people will be ok with spending on excess.

Back