So this is a bit of a sad story: last Thursday our receiver (a pretty ancient pioneer) blew up, and only since hooking up a new Yamaha (HTR-6140) receiver have I realized that one of the speakers was taken as well.
The Yamaha has some safety features that include checking speaker cabling, which forced me to realize some really crappy wiring done by a housemate resulting in crossed lines that probably caused all the damage in the first place.
So now I'm looking for a suggestion. I was in a hurry to replace the blown receiver because I was about to purchase some b-stock x-omni speakers from av123 (http://www.av123.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=306&category_id=16&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37), but having already spent money on the receiver and having planned to use the x-omnis as rear supports, what would you recommend doing? I was really only planning to spend <$500 on this this summer, since I figured I'd only be buying a single pair of some floor standing speakers, b-stock or whatever. If you suggest dropping the x-omni idea altogether for a pair of decent floor standing guys, that's fine too.
The Yamaha has some safety features that include checking speaker cabling, which forced me to realize some really crappy wiring done by a housemate resulting in crossed lines that probably caused all the damage in the first place.
So now I'm looking for a suggestion. I was in a hurry to replace the blown receiver because I was about to purchase some b-stock x-omni speakers from av123 (http://www.av123.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=306&category_id=16&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37), but having already spent money on the receiver and having planned to use the x-omnis as rear supports, what would you recommend doing? I was really only planning to spend <$500 on this this summer, since I figured I'd only be buying a single pair of some floor standing speakers, b-stock or whatever. If you suggest dropping the x-omni idea altogether for a pair of decent floor standing guys, that's fine too.