Blown Capacitors

tgillespie

Limp Gawd
I have a GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB DDR that has a few blown capacitors. Its still a decent card, but it locks up after about 5 minutes of extreme graphic use.

Looking at the capacitors, it seems as if 3 of them are rather fat and have some material leeking through the top. The maker of the card is PNY. I would guess I purchased the card over 2 years ago from Circut City.

As blown capacitors capable of being replaced or fixed? Would anyone be interested in buying the card? Suggestions welcome.

I have never heard of a video card doing this but i had the same issue with a mother board, from what i can see, some company made bad caps and introduced them into the market. Check the artical here fro that. There is a company that will replace the bad caps on a motherboard so i dont see why they wont do a videocard, but you would have to contact them good luck

gerald said:
I have never heard of a video card doing this but i had the same issue with a mother board, from what i can see, some company made bad caps and introduced them into the market. Check the artical here fro that. There is a company that will replace the bad caps on a motherboard so i dont see why they wont do a videocard, but you would have to contact them good luck
Thanks for the links. I sent them an email asking if they did the same for video cards. My capacitors look the same as the ones blown on PCStats, but mine are leaking out of the top.

Does anyone know why they would of blown? All I can think of is heat damage. The PC the card was in had major heating problems IRCC.

It wouldnt happen to be a gainward card would it? they had a bunch of dodgy caps supplied to them that mainly ended up on ti4200 cards. Ive got one of them. I did manage to replace the capacitors by canibalising an old mobo and a control board out of an old washing machine. Are they the 5 caps in the top corner of the card? AFAIK 4 of them need to be 1200uF 6.3v, and the one on the bottom right of the 5 needs to be 470uF 16v.
My card would lock up to a multicoloured blocky screen after about 5mins of 3d use, so i assume its the same ones.
Although the card would work perfectly once you got it to boot up- i played Farcry on it for about 2 hours straight while i was repainting the case of my main rig- the mobo wouldnt always boot the card properly so you would have to reset it about 5-10 times before it would beep once and post properly.
So it is possible to repair these cards, only if you can find the caps for free. The card has since been retired for a mx440 as i need a reliable card for my HTPC box.
Good luck.

I have a Visiontek card that stopped working, not sure the cause of it though. When I asked them about a RMA possibility they responded saying the company that owned it before them went bankrupt and none of the warranty info was carried over or lost or some crap. They sent me a list of 'discounted prices'. All the cards on the list were in the same generation as the gf4s.

I had a gainward that did the same thing.

This thread has some of the best information about this problem that I have found.

If you can get those caps replaced the card will work flawlessly.

i mailed motherboard repair, but have not gotten a response yet.

Would anyone be interested in buying it for cheap with the blown capacitors if I cannot get them replaced?

it's not worth paying somebody to repair it.. a ti4200 is pretty outdated.

I have a fried Ti4200 128mb with good capacitors on it (bad memory), but I'm not sure that I want to spend $25 on another broken one (not sure if the caps are the same anyway).

Back