• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Blowing some money

Raidium

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 18, 2007
Messages
94
This is not another one of those should I get a GTS or GTX threads. I am asking for advice but please read the situation I am in.

I allready have a GTS 640mb from EVGA. My delimea is that there is a game coming out in November that I want to play and I have some other upgrades on the way in, or planned.

I have some cash right now so im looking to further upgrade my system.

I could splash down some cash on the video card upgrade path, or do some other component upgrades. Does it make sense to upgrade my video capabilities right now or should I invest elsewhere?

Options:

  • Buy another GTS and do SLI. <-- im leaning to this
  • Get a single GTX, sell the GTS on ebay, use the cash to upgrade proc.
  • Upgrade proc to Q6600 & overclock. (stay with one GTS now and do SLI later)
I chose these options because I do have a limited ammount that I can blow on this stuff right now.

Other conditions:

I have 4gb of dominator on the way in.

I plan on getting the Dell 27 inch monitor in December so I do want to be able to play at 1900x1200 with everything cranked up.

I feel like the SLI route on GTS is the right thing considering the resolution I want to game at and the monitor I will be getting. I also dont know that I would be able to buy another video card at the same time as the monitor. So I could be stuck with this choice for a while. Something is also compelling me to snatch a quad core but I fear that the single GTS wont be able to handle the game at 1900x1200.

the thing that got me thinking about the quadcore was a performance gain I got in World in Conflict through overclocking. I had my CPU backed down to about 2.4ghz and when using dual monitors at 1650x1080 my framerates were averaging 18. After cranking the CPU back up to 3.2ghz I got another 10fps avg out of the system.

Thoughts?
 
by november a new card will more then likely come out.. i'd wait till mid-october and then see what the market has to offer. A GTS will hold you over till then
 
by november a new card will more then likely come out.. i'd wait till mid-october and then see what the market has to offer. A GTS will hold you over till then

Bingo.

Why pay todays price for technology you are going to use tommorow.

 
Im married and if i dont spend it now, the wife willspend it for me. Catch my drift?
 
Im married and if i dont spend it now, the wife willspend it for me. Catch my drift?

I know what you mean my friend. Give it to me, I'll hold it for you..LOL Well, I'm between getting another GTS or selling your current GTS and getting a GTX or Ultra.
 
i am/was in the exact same boat. my 680i A1 died on 4 July, so it's out for RMA. Since I was pissed about the 680i, and the incredible amount of heat that was building up in my case (Antec 900), I decided to dump my 8800gts 320mb sc's and am in the process of hunting for a GTX/Ultra. My dual GTs 320's scored 13500-14000 in 3dmark06, not that this is a very good reference for you, but my board died before I got done testing the SLi setup. I'm going single card, just in case my RMA'd 680i dies as well...so then I can fall back on my P5B and not have to only get 60% of my graphics power because the other card is sitting in it's box, waiting for the SLi board to come home.
 
Im married and if i dont spend it now, the wife willspend it for me. Catch my drift?
Dude believe me I know what you are talking about, but there is a way around this. Buy something hobby related on Ebay, something that you will "get tired of" in a few months but that will appreciate or not really lose resale value:D This Fall sell it and you will have more money to work with when the time comes to buy.

I play the banjo and will buy a used banjo on Ebay to "lock in" my money. I'll clean and set it up and sell it for a profit later when I want to buy something ... ie after I get tired of it. If I don't do stuff like that my wife will put extra $$$ into our money market savings, where it becomes "untouchable" for entertainment/hobby related expenses:D
 
Options:

  • Buy another GTS and do SLI. <-- im leaning to this
  • Get a single GTX, sell the GTS on ebay, use the cash to upgrade proc.
  • Upgrade proc to Q6600 & overclock. (stay with one GTS now and do SLI later)
I've been in this exact situation, "It's my money or my wife." So I sympathize.

Go with the second item in your list. But go for an E6600 instead of the quad core. The only reason for a quad core right now is if you plan to do a lot of video processing which includes format conversions. Otherwise, cores will be idle most of the time.

In the not to distant future this will change as games and other applications are geared to support multiple cores. But these applications will begin to appear slowly over the next couple of years.

Best of luck...
 
Back
Top