blowholes

evilmonkey

Limp Gawd
whenever i see a nicely done blowhole there seems to be a plastic ring that looks like the lid of i can't believe it's not butter or something like that, what is this and how do you know which pieces to use, etc.

ty

it's pretty simple (if you've got the right tools). Take the suitable hole saw for the task, and start drilling through the plastic slowly. If you do it patiently and accurately, your hole is likely to be perfect. If it does not come out the way u wanted, u can take your Dremel with a proper sanding bit, and slowly pass on the cutting.

i think its melted plastic...

the problem is you're probably going too fast with the cup saw and its melting the plastic onto the side and it cools when you pull the saw away forming a plastic ring

you can go very slow to decrease the amount of plastic that builds up on the side... when you're done, take a sanding drum bit for dremel and sand off that plastic... if you dont have sanding drums, then use sand paper or a round file, altho it would be faster if you had a sanding drum

The stuff you are talking about is a kind of plastic sleeving that is designed to go around the edge of the hole to make it smooth and safe (from cuts). I tried to find a link but I couldn't.

To some it is more aesthetically pleasing to have that sleeving there, esp if you want to have a color offset around the fan, but as long as you sand down the edges of the hole well enough, you dont NEED the plastic sleeving.

A fan grill, however, is a must.

ORR it could be molding

you can buy molding at places like xoxide, svc, etc etc

however, i saved money by stripping a useless electrical wire.. i sliced the insulation on the side and pulled out the copper... and voila, my homemade molding

wayne said:
ORR it could be molding

you can buy molding at places like xoxide, svc, etc etc

however, i saved money by stripping a useless electrical wire.. i sliced the insulation on the side and pulled out the copper... and voila, my homemade molding

molding!!! that's the word I was looking for, not sleeving.

ehZn said:
molding!!! that's the word I was looking for, not sleeving.
lol

well, i m not sure if the poster of this thread is talking about rings on plastic or metal surfaces so that depends...

Im sure that what he is talking about is a molding, its there to protect against the rough edge of the cut, to cover up the cut, so you dont have to repaint, to form a seal between the fan and the hole, and maybe alittle to keep things from sliding over the hole (like paper or a book ect)

Im not a fan of molding, a good grill should cover over what you need, and its not a bad call to grind the edge, clean it up, and touch up the paint.

On my blow-hole i drilled out a grill into the case, drilled out, and hammerd down screw holes, and mounted the fan on the underside of the case, so from the side you dont see a grill or screws, the blow hole is flat with the case, but the case is acting like a grill.

Back