Blocking specific PCs from accessing shared folders?

xvioz

Weaksauce
Basically I've got 4 computers networked together, 2 desktops (Vista Ultimate x64 and XP Home), 1 laptop (XP Home) and my media center (MCE 2005). What I want to do is share a folder on my media center but only have my desktop be able to access the files and block out the other 2.

I've tried setting different workgroups but the shared folders still pop up on all 4. Like I'll set my desktop and media center to "Media" and the other 2 to "Home" but the folders still show up in "My Network Places" on all 4 (and they can access the folders) and they would have to click "View Workgroup Computers" for them not to show.

Is this possible or am I asking too much? As a temp. solution I'm just running BPFTP Server on my media center, blocking out all IP's except my own, but naturally it has it's downsides (mainly that I have to put the files on my PC to edit them).

Or maybe there's a seperate app that'll achieve this? My main goal at the moment is to edit MP3 tags on the media center from the desktop while blocking out all other IPs on the network.

Thanks in advance.

ACL's are generally setup for Users not Computers. To do what you want to do, you'd probably have to setup firewall rules to block the necessary ports from all but the one pc.

A better question is why the heck would you want to do this?

Peer Guardian 2.

http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

Just make a custom list (from within the app) and run it. Close the app to re-enable sharing to blocked ip's.

I've tested this on a windows non-domain workgroup setup (my home). I've been searching on doing the same thing for the shares I have at lan parties. I plan on blocking those who are downloading a lot and not sharing anything (opposed to closing their session in the management console)...plus some regulars that I'd rather not share to and give a chance to new blood.

A better question is why the heck would you want to do this?
My brother uses the other desktop downstairs and I'd like to make sure he couldn't delete the files being shared... or someone accidently deleting them. I could uncheck the little box but then I couldn't edit the files either.

Thanks for the link kuyaglen, I'll give it a try.

EDIT: Working perfectly, thanks again!

Back