Blocking most websites.

Muckrack

n00b
Much of my work is done online on a handful of websites and non work-related web browsing can be a distraction at times so I want to block out all but the few that I need for work. A quick search online found a few ways, such as clicking on Internet Options and LAN settings and then something about a proxy server, but I need to make sure this applies ONLY to my own PC and not to other people at work who use the same server.Any advice?

Much of my work is done online on a handful of websites and non work-related web browsing can be a distraction at times so I want to block out all but the few that I need for work. A quick search online found a few ways, such as clicking on Internet Options and LAN settings and then something about a proxy server, but I need to make sure this applies ONLY to my own PC and not to other people at work who use the same server.Any advice?

Just stop browsing and do your work. Not that hard. Anything you setup you know how to undo so There's no point...

1. googl lmhosts
2. using lmhosts, create an entry for every domain on the interwebs EXCEPT the 3 or 4 you wan to be able to use. Redirect non-work sites to work site.
3. Profit

find out and talk to them, i am sure it is easier for them to place limits on you than you tryng, and if it is wide open for anything, your IT team should be fired, if it exists.

You could install a virtual machine and then install something like Untangle.. and make a webfilter rule to block things, then set your computer to go through that VM.

This is what I had found before, I just don't know if doing this would affect anyone else.

For IE just go to:

1) Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings
2) In the proxies put in some bogus host.
3) In the "Do not use proxy server for.... " put in the sites you only want to allow him to visit.

Okay, I see where you put in the fake server but not where you list sites you don't want blocked.

Advanced button.

Also just do your job, I have terrible ADD but I manage to make it through the day with minimum distraction.

Oh no I'm posting on a forum. I guess not.

You can ask all the questions you want, you just may get answers that on the surface seem helpful but are actually ridiculously useless.
The easiest answer is learn discipline and don't go to those sites.

I found the advanced button and where to put in viewable sites (Internet options, connections, LAN settings, etc), but will doing this only affect my own PC and NOT for other computers on the same server?

I found the advanced button and where to put in viewable sites (Internet options, connections, LAN settings, etc), but will doing this only affect my own PC and NOT for other computers on the same server?

The thing is I have a rather dull desk job and it's pretty slow so after hours of the same routine my mind tends to wander off and I hate that. I'm just looking for a little reminder in case it does. I just don't want it to effect anyone else.

Back