Blocking all websites with the hosts file

B. W.

2[H]4U
I'm trying to only let my little sister's access certain websites on her computer, since she just got a wireless network adaptor.

I tried using the hosts file (inserting certain IP address and domain names) and disabling the DNS Client service (which worked on my computer), but I could still get on any site I wanted on hers.

I tried using the ipconfig /flushdns command and stopping the service, but I'm having the same problem.

Does anyone know how I can protect her? I would rather not use filters, since this would be faster (and free), and I would have more control.

The simplest answer that I can provide:

2 options

Place computer in family room with monitor visible to family passing by...

or

Disconnect cat5 from NIC.

J

Put in a fake proxy server in IE, then add the sites you want her to be able to visit to the exceptions list. That way, if she tries to go anywhere from that list of exceptions, she'll get a page cannot be displayed error.

ND40oz said:
Put in a fake proxy server in IE, then add the sites you want her to be able to visit to the exceptions list. That way, if she tries to go anywhere from that list of exceptions, she'll get a page cannot be displayed error.
I tried that, but when I put websites in the exceptions list, they would time out too.

For instance, I tried using hhtp://www.google.com, www.google.gom, and google.com, but none of them worked.

That's why I'm trying the hosts file method.

Is she very computer litterate? You can always use Content Advisor in IE...although i'm sure it's not foolproof.

Why not set up some kind of parental controls on her machine? I couldnt recommend any off-hand but there are plenty of "net-nanny" type pieces of software available that could work for you.

Set false DNS servers in her TCP/IP config, then if its not in the hosts file, she wont be able to get to it(unless she knows the IP). You'll have to do some tweaking, any site that she goes to will need all the DNS entries for that site.

Back