Blocked thumbnails in IE

yorobbie

n00b
A while back I was trying some Kazaa alternatives,Resurection and I dont know what. My bad I don't remember which one it was, but one of them was bundled with a pop-up blocker. I made the wrong choice and allowed it to turn on. It worked too well. On my Excite homepage it blocked all thumbnails and even my custom background. Even weirder, when I go to my Excite mail, the background is still working. I got WMP10 yesterday, and whatever it is, it's even blocking something there. In the upper right corner is one of those white boxes with the red X. All security settings are at default. I even tried Mozilla and the same thing, Excite is all srewed up. Another funny thing is on my SBC/Yahoo homepage, the thumbnails on news stories still work. I tried unistalling IE, and reinstalling, no difference. The FAQ's at MS about missing thumbnails were no help, everything they suggest is already done. I'm at my wits end, can anyone help? Thanks

Might sound simple, but always best to try simple suggestions first I say :). Do you see a google toolbar, or any kind of toolbar for that matter, in your add/remove programs list?

I was running rhe google toobar long before I developed this problem. As stated it started after some other unknown blocker was applied. Just for you, I will try unistalling the google bar and see if it makes a difference. BRB

Sounds like a spyware 'pop-up blocker,' or maybe just a normal popup blocker you can't find. Check add-remove programs, anything listed there you don't recogonize?

If not, run Spy Sweeper.

Also check out the stickied thread for spyware here.
Good luck.

I've ran Spy Sweeper, Ad-Aware, and SpyBot to no avail. It also effects Opera, and my wife's user acount.

One thing I just noticed in Add/Remove Programs, OpenMG Secure Module.What's that, I'm afraid to remove it lest I FUBAR something else.

The host file that resolves IP-names with out using DNS, in fact it overrides. So if there is an entry for say google.com to 127.0.0.1 you will never be able to see google.com, it will always resolve to the local host. The file locaion depends on the OS.

Windows NT, 2000
c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Windows 95, 98
c:\windows\hosts

Windows XP
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Fixed it by erasing everything past first line in host file. Thanks. Off to try to make it past the AA gun in MoH-PA demo. Peace-Out

Back